Premed 101 Forums

Recent grad, should I bother?

So I just graduated from undergrad recently and am in the same boat as many others in the sense that I have no idea what to do next. I have been wanting to become a dr/go into medical school since I was kid and then when I got into university I convinced myself that I was not good enough/smart enough and convinced myself that it was not what I wanted to do and it was just an unrealistic fantasy so I did not put in an effort to be a good med school candidate and instead focused on research because what else would a science student do. However in my last year of undergrad after working in a research lab since first year I came to the realization that I do not want to pursue lab research, and the thought of doing a master/phd makes me sick, and that instead I want to go to med school. I studied harder than usual my last year and my GPA for my final year was a 3.89(I took 6 courses each semester) so I know that if I work hard and study hard I can in fact achieve high grades.

SO whichever school I am wanting to apply to my wGPA would be between 3.6-3.7 depending on how the GPA is calculated. Other than the 3ish years working in the same research lab(one publication but not first author), a short stint in the government because I convinced myself that maybe working in the government is what I should do(lol boy was I wrong) and volunteering as a clinical researcher(where I worked closely with many different drs) for 2 years I do not have any other ECs/work experience. 

My question is, if I take 1-2 years and just focus on volunteering and adding more ECs to my application and studying my ass off for the MCAT and scoring high do I have a shot at med school or should I just let this dream die forever and move on with my life?

Yes I have thought about/researched and talked with people from other healthcare professions like RN, PA, PT, RT, RD(worked closely with many of them during my time in clinical research) you name it and I just can not fathom doing any of them for the rest of my life.... 

TLDR: wGPA 3.6-3.7, minimal ECs and no MCAT yet, what to do?