Premed 101 Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Future_MD35

Interventional Radiology

Good morning everyone, 

I am a Med2 who's becoming more and more interested in interventional radiology. I was looking for insight/advice from members here.

How concerning is the turf war in IR with other specialties? How do you see the future of IR? I have read about the potential for expanding IR to have a clinical model of practice, but is this something that's already underway in IR or or how realistic is it to happen in the future? 

Also, anyone has experience with the integrated IR programs offered in the US? I know it is the same length as in Canada (6 yrs), but having another yr of concentrated IR training is appealing to me. And is it easy to come back to Canada to practice?

Any advice would be much appreciated !

The lifestyle of IR has changed the turf war quite a bit. For example, since it has become clear that the life style of interventional neuro is terrible and getting worse every year, IR and neurosurgery have bee less interested in protecting it from neurologists. 

On 8/7/2019 at 5:30 AM, yonas said:

How is the employment situation for IR in Canada?

Ive talked to a few radiologists in the past month. IR employment is good right now, though working hours are usually brutal. It has basically a surgical lifestyle but not the income.

On 8/8/2019 at 1:53 PM, anonymouspls said:

Ive talked to a few radiologists in the past month. IR employment is good right now, though working hours are usually brutal. It has basically a surgical lifestyle but not the income.

On the up side, every center I have worked in that offered IR didn't have a floor to admit IR patients to. So there was no inpatients to worry about for the radiologist. Show up, do procedure, leave. Someone else is answering pages about grandma's tylenol at 3 am.