Premed 101 Forums

Explaining the different streams

I. Ranking of Applicants for Offer of Admission

All applicants who were selected for interview and participated in the interview process are ranked by the Admissions Committee.

1. General MD Program, MD/PhD Program Stream, and Bilingual Stream

All applicants who participated in the interview process will be ranked in their respective pool by calculating a composite score in the following way:

(15% AGPA + 40% MCAT® + 35% MMI + 10% CASPer®) X (rural co-efficient if >0) X (academic co-efficient if >0) X (socioeconomic and cultural diversity co-efficient if >0)

Applicants' component scores with differing variances are standardized by determining Z-scores within their respective applicant pool before mathematically combining the component scores to calculate the composite scores and ranking for applicants for offer of admission.

The (old) applicant information bulletin states the above, but I'm confused by the last bit. Essentially my question is whether it's advantageous to apply to a stream because you're only competing against the people in the stream initially? I'm not too sure what they mean when they say they "mathematically combine the component scores to calculate composite scores". So if you ranked top of your stream because say like 5 people applied but you didn't rank highly overall, what would this mean?