Premed 101 Forums

Job market in big cities: Toronto, Vancouver, Ottawa

I'm looking to recent DDS/DMD graduates to provide some information on your experience looking for jobs in the big cities. 

-Has job hunting in big cities been competitive or is there a healthy balance of supply and demand?
-Are you able to find positions with 4+ day work weeks?
-What are the average salaries you're seeing in these cities (ideally at practices central enough to use subways)?
-For those working in the city, are you living relatively comfortably (paying off loans, rent, living expenses with a surplus)?
-Are there more associate positions with corporations than with mom and pop shops now?

4 minutes ago, Lvl3sonly said:

500-600k in production maybe...

Doubt he has offers to net 500-600k straight out of school...

On 8/10/2019 at 5:56 PM, HopefulDDS said:

I'm looking to recent DDS/DMD graduates to provide some information on your experience looking for jobs in the big cities. 

-Has job hunting in big cities been competitive or is there a healthy balance of supply and demand?
-Are you able to find positions with 4+ day work weeks?
-What are the average salaries you're seeing in these cities (ideally at practices central enough to use subways)?
-For those working in the city, are you living relatively comfortably (paying off loans, rent, living expenses with a surplus)?
-Are there more associate positions with corporations than with mom and pop shops now?

Should be able to get you some stats by next May...but imo there are more part-time gigs (2 days a week) than 4 day work weeks at offices. Corps are definitely having an impact and will continue to play a major role in the future. Not sure if there are more corp positions available though...haven't inquired. I know someone who sold 20 practices recently in the GTA to a corp...so corps are expanding.

Young associates really need to open up their mindset about  relocating. Yes, you may have family in the GTA but relocating to a much better work opportunity with busy schedule will afford you the ability to repay that student debt fast and prevent stress. It is very possible to get much better work opportunities (averaging at 3000k production per day or more) 1.5-2hrs outside the city but sad that younglings are stuck in the gta. 

41 minutes ago, human instinct said:

Young associates really need to open up their mindset about  relocating. Yes, you may have family in the GTA but relocating to a much better work opportunity with busy schedule will afford you the ability to repay that student debt fast and prevent stress. It is very possible to get much better work opportunities (averaging at 3000k production per day or more) 1.5-2hrs outside the city but sad that younglings are stuck in the gta. 

It all depends on the situation of the individual..if the spouse/family members cannot leave the big city due to their jobs, etc., new grads stay closer to them even if there are better opportunities farther away. And quite frankly, if the majority of young associates every year went to the towns 1.5-2hrs away from the GTA, I'm not sure if it would be that lucrative either. 

12 hours ago, Chaxon said:

You guys talk so much about steins gate it’s so cute how much you envy him. I know you guys aren't comedians but come on the jokes getting old, leave him alone! And I mean older than when you geniuses got into dental school. Jk relax @cleanup @#YOLO

Heh, the guy was constantly harrassing me about how much money I was making, it was super irritating and reeked of his own obsession and insecurity and need for attention. I have no qualms pointing out poor behaviour on these forums, especially those that attempt to subvert the voice of reason. Misinformation combined with big egos is poisonous. 

1 hour ago, human instinct said:

In my experience most people graduating from U of T these days are adapting. A lot move pretty far away, more are specializing and doing residencies. I keep in touch with recent graduates and that seems to be the trend. Either way it's all about what you value. For every person who wants to eat sleep and breathe dentistry there's another who couldn't give two shits. People often aren't realistic and honest with themselves about what they want.