Premed 101 Forums

Does Dal Assess MCAT Competitively?

Hey! I am a first time non-maritime applicant to Dal. I understand that some of the admission requirements have changed this year (minimum MCAT mark for OOP lowered to 124 per section- which is why I am now able to apply with my CARS being 124). I was wondering if anyone knew/had asked admissions if MCAT marks are assessed competitively or if they are thresholds?

1 hour ago, yeescience said:

Hey! I am a first time non-maritime applicant to Dal. I understand that some of the admission requirements have changed this year (minimum MCAT mark for OOP lowered to 124 per section- which is why I am now able to apply with my CARS being 124). I was wondering if anyone knew/had asked admissions if MCAT marks are assessed competitively or if they are thresholds?

They are assessed competitively. A total of 10 points out of 100 for the application. A 508-511 is 8/10 points, I believe a 512-516 is 9/10 and a 517+ is 10/10. In terms of individually looked at your CARS score, they don’t assess it to my understanding. You can get in with a 124 in CARS, provided your other section scores are good/high. 

2 hours ago, Dalhousie23 said:

They are assessed competitively. A total of 10 points out of 100 for the application. A 508-511 is 8/10 points, I believe a 512-516 is 9/10 and a 517+ is 10/10. In terms of individually looked at your CARS score, they don’t assess it to my understanding. You can get in with a 124 in CARS, provided your other section scores are good/high. 

May I ask how you figured out the ranges? My MCAT is 507 so I am wondering if it'll be a 7/10 for sure or if it's speculation? Thanks!

43 minutes ago, yeescience said:

May I ask how you figured out the ranges? My MCAT is 507 so I am wondering if it'll be a 7/10 for sure or if it's speculation? Thanks!

Your scores for the different sections are provided to you when you apply but do not get accepted (GPA and MCAT are combined and the GPA score out of 15 is linear so you can determine what you got for MCAT alone out of 10). I'm not sure if what Dalhousie23 said will hold true for this year or not where they did drop their minimums again, but they should be within 1 point of being true if not exact I would think.

2 hours ago, Chels1267 said:

Your scores for the different sections are provided to you when you apply but do not get accepted (GPA and MCAT are combined and the GPA score out of 15 is linear so you can determine what you got for MCAT alone out of 10). I'm not sure if what Dalhousie23 said will hold true for this year or not where they did drop their minimums again, but they should be within 1 point of being true if not exact I would think.

Yeah. They may change the ranges this coming year slightly, so perhaps a 507 would be either a 7 or an 8/10. Yeah like Frederick said, the OOP maritime connection essay is vital for OOP acceptance from my understanding.