Premed 101 Forums

Canadian DAT scoring

Hey, I'm taking my DAT during the start of November and I'm pretty stressed. I was wondering how the scoring for the soap carving and the PAT works (ie around how many I could get wrong on the pat to score a 15 and how bad my soap can be to score a 5) I'm obviously not aiming for those scores but for the universities i'm applying to, it's a pass or fail system that you need a 5 on carving and 15 on PAT. I'm not too worried about the carving but I'm mostly worried about the PAT. I'm currently  using Crackdat for practicing but I'm struggling a little especially on time wise and angle ranking ( I keep getting around a 9/15 :/). If anyone has any tips too or program I could use for help that would be appreciated.

There really aren’t any ticks, it’s just a new skill and going to take some time to get a hang of it. I found PAT enjoyable to study for since it’s just practice relative to memorizing everything for bio lol. 

I’ve used crack the Dat for PAT practice and found those ones are significantly simpler than the ones on the real Dat. Use a different resource to study pat. PAT booster or Dat crusher (same thing) are the best imo. You can learn all of the strategies on how to solve the questions through those programs first. Then you can increase speed the good ol’ fashion way, through repetition. They have generators to work on speed and lots of practice tests. 

3 hours ago, Chaxon said:

There really aren’t any ticks, it’s just a new skill and going to take some time to get a hang of it. I found PAT enjoyable to study for since it’s just practice relative to memorizing everything for bio lol. 

I’ve used crack the Dat for PAT practice and found those ones are significantly simpler than the ones on the real Dat. Use a different resource to study pat. PAT booster or Dat crusher (same thing) are the best imo. You can learn all of the strategies on how to solve the questions through those programs first. Then you can increase speed the good ol’ fashion way, through repetition. They have generators to work on speed and lots of practice tests. 

I've been told the pat on crack the dat is easier so I bought the datcrusher today hahaha . Thanks for your output!

Hey, 

I didn't do the soap carving section but, I can speak to how I studied for the PAT. Since the Canadian DAT is paper and pencil I tried to get PAT workbooks and practice with them. I went to my school bookstore and just picked up the DATReady perceptual ability book (it had 3 full practice PAT sections). I just did a quick google and found the link: https://datready.ca . So maybe that could be useful for you. I also used the DAT Bootcamp app because it had a PAT generator and was free. I used it to practice on the go (bus rides and breaks etc..). Another great tool that I found was the DAT Bootcamp PAT trainer game (also free just need to make an account with DAT Bootcamp). This game wasn't straightforward practice but really helped me to develop quick visual analysis skills that I feel helped me throughout all the PAT sections. I usually just opened it up before class and played a couple of rounds before lectures got started and what not. 

I scored in the 98th percentile for PAT. I can assure you that was not what I was scoring in when I first started practicing. I feel like it took me a month or two to be comfortable and start getting marks closer to what I actually scored on the DAT. Just be patient and practice daily (use the app and the game). 

For soap carving, I don't really have any suggestions because I didn't do that section. But, from what I understand, practice makes perfect. I know that you can order practice soap so maybe look into that. 

I hope this helps!

I scored well on the soap carving. I used the  Datsoapcarving website for video tutorials to learn how to carve. After that, I just made perfect soaps. Then I did it under the time condition. It’s also just another skill that needs to be learned through perfect practice.