Premed 101 Forums

Hi everyone, 

Just started M1 (@Mac) recently and I'm looking to get involved in some research, especially since our preclerkship is much shorter than other schools. Would you recommend that I start contacting PIs now or wait until I start horizontal electives/can meet potential PIs first? Thanks!

2 hours ago, duckduckgoose18 said:

Hi everyone, 

Just started M1 (@Mac) recently and I'm looking to get involved in some research, especially since our preclerkship is much shorter than other schools. Would you recommend that I start contacting PIs now or wait until I start horizontal electives/can meet potential PIs first? Thanks!

I think this depends on two primary factors: 

1) Your personal interest/commitment to research

2)The specialties you would be interested and the level of competition involved for the CARMs. 

Since your program is a year shorter than other medical schools, it can only help if you start networking with professors earlier and getting a flavor for their work. Try to find people who you get along with and find mentors that are genuinely interested in helping you become a better researcher/scholar. 

Getting involved in a project and writing manuscripts is something that takes time, so if being productive is something you care about, I suggest getting familiar with the research landscape at McMaster sooner and having people you could start working with after your first semester.