Premed 101 Forums

Preparing for the Canadian DAT

I'm taking the upcoming DAT in November and I have a few questions...

1. All of my friends in dental school are recommending DATCrusher and Nicole's Notes but is this enough? 

2. How much time should I dedicate to preparing during the school year?

3. What score should I be aiming for?

4. Is the soap carving section needed? 

5. Is it true the exam is all paper based?

Thanks!

1) DATcrusher is recommended by many because most say its the closest representation of the cDAT. I personally didn't use it but instead used Bootcamp and DAT Destroyer. I would personally recommend DAT Destroyer because the practice question tho they are slightly more difficulty the type of questions you would see on the DAT is great practice to hone in your weakness and understand concepts better. Also, many other recommend looking thru Feralis bio notes as well Chad's video for the chem section. 

2) Everyone is different. This is dependent on you. 

3) Aim for the highest score possible :) but in reality the competitiveness of the DAT score depends on the schools you are applying to you. You can see what a competitive AA was for each school on their website. Just realize that the DAT score is only one part of your application so do not stress and study and try your best! 

4) It is needed for some Canadian dental schools and again depending on which one you are applying too! 

5) Yes it is! I would highly recommended practicing the PAT section on paper! 

Good Luck! 

1. I personally used DATCrusher and I thought it was more than enough. If you want, use Feralis notes with it if your biology isn't as strong

2. I studied for about 2 months and that was enough from what I remember

3. Always aim for 20+ in every category, that’s your ticket to securing an interview everywhere

4. No I think only Mcgill and Alberta requires it now

5. Yup it’s all paper based

• 3 weeks later...

Don't stress yourself out with particulars about what materials to study with. Just find things that have the required content in a format you like and study it. A lot of what is tested is also what you learn in your biology/chemistry classes. Depending on where you're applying you probably want to aim for around 21+ if you're going to attempt Canada. Soap carving unless you're aiming for a specific school is probably going to be a waste of time (using the term liberally). 

Make a study schedule and say you'll study X amount of chapters/topics/hours whatever your goal is and maintain it. If you have self-discipline you should turn out alright.