Premed 101 Forums

USask MD vs. Ireland?

USask or Ireland?  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Better option?

• USask
    • Ireland

I am currently finishing up my undergraduate in Alberta. Originally from Saskatchewan so I am applying for the MD Program at USask. However, given the recent troubles of the MD program and probation, is an IMG option like Ireland a good option vs. USask MD? I’m looking specifically at Dublin or Limerick in Ireland and I heard most of the classes in Ireland can usually come back to practice. 

Any opinions? 

24 minutes ago, Pakoon said:

Saskatchewan 100 percent no questions asked. the fact that  Saskatchewan for med using IP status through undergrad is almost becoming the new carribean should say something about the effectiveness of that route

It's not comparable to the "caribbean route". Getting sask residency takes 3 years. If you look at the stats, there is generally a max of 300 IP applicants in total (which also includes aboriginal applicants), the overwhelming majority of whom were probably born in sask anyways.  It is incomparable to the the thousands and thousands of people going the caribbean route. 

If you're already IP then yes, the chances of getting into Sask is probably comparable to Caribbean but it's not a path that people are following, or I would suspect people will start taking.

But yes, OP don't go to Ireland, that would be a huge mistake without at least trying multiple times for any canadian med school, whether it's sask or whatever else.

20 minutes ago, YesIcan55 said:

not surprising when the median Sask IP med student had a 501 MCAT (no joke- look it up lol) also I know several keen HS students set to do UG in Sask to get IP, so yes people have and are doing this. It's the best kept secret (not really anymore lol) in pre-med circles. It's extremely unfair how vastly different the stats of accepted med students at virtually any other med school in Canada

Caribbean route was a very viable option when it was a new method. As with all methods, once it catches on, they put things in place to regulate it. As of now, going to Sask for IP and then doing med has literally zero draw backs and is a near perfect plan.

On 8/22/2019 at 9:37 PM, YesIcan55 said:

not surprising when the median Sask IP med student had a 501 MCAT (no joke- look it up lol) also I know several keen HS students set to do UG in Sask to get IP, so yes people have and are doing this. It's the best kept secret (not really anymore lol) in pre-med circles. It's extremely unfair how vastly different the stats of accepted med students at virtually any other med school in Canada

Not true! The median Sask IP med student for class of 2021 and 2022 had 77 and 84 percentiles. That of class of 2023 will be even higher.

All Canadian MD schools are pretty similar but USask is often regarded as the worst if you really want to pay attention to rankings and all that nonsense. And yet it is still 100% no questions asked better than going to Ireland. You can have a decent shot at basically any specialty you want and avoid the entire hassle of being an IMG. Not to mention the hundreds of thousands of dollars you would save.  I don't even know why this is a question.