Premed 101 Forums

Confused about my reference

Hi!

I recently asked a prof (by email) to write me a reference letter for my med school application. They agreed but also asked what aspects I wanted them to emphasize in the letter. It’s my first time applying and I have no clue what that means. I thought the prof would know better than me what to focus on (because they can tell what I’m good at?). I don’t want to say « i don’t know » because that sounds bad to me. 

Does anyone know how to respond to them? Any advice is greatly appreciated. 

—— 

Also, for the reference letter, do I just contact the referee through OMSAS (once they agree)? Is It an actual letter or just a form they have to fill in? 

Thanks! 

Hey! The main thing I would suggest is you ask them to focus on the CanMEDS roles and how you demonstrate them, then tie that back to how you would make a great physician because of it. I’d also suggest giving them some examples of how you demonstrated each role, and they choose which to use or can add their own in. Another thing you can do is look at your application and get them to write about some of the things you’ve done, such as research. You can also ask them to explain how you meet the school(s) you’re applying to’s mandate/mission statement to show you would be a good fit there.  I believe they changed the reference letter format this year to getting the references to answer questions (please correct me if I’m wrong), but you can likely still use these suggestions.

Last year we contacted them through OMSAS, but I’d check the OMSAS guide as it will give you more info that’s is up to date. 

I hope this helps! Feel free to PM me if you have any more questions.