Premed 101 Forums

Mature applicant?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All, mature applicant here. I am entering my work history into UCAN and am very concerned that I no longer have contact information for most of the jobs I worked in the past 10-20 years (of course, I have info for my more recent positions). Are any of you dealing with the same issue, or were you ridiculously organized and kept record of all of this information?

In my mid thirties and I also struggle with some contacts. Many people have moved on in the years or the company itself no longer exists. Thankfully most of my more relevant and impactful work has been more recent. I'm not sure whether or not they can reach someone regarding a paper route job is a make or break ;).  Makes this process that much longer though. Lots of us going through it with you.

On 9/21/2019 at 11:23 AM, eal said:

Hi All, mature applicant here. I am entering my work history into UCAN and am very concerned that I no longer have contact information for most of the jobs I worked in the past 10-20 years (of course, I have info for my more recent positions). Are any of you dealing with the same issue, or were you ridiculously organized and kept record of all of this information?

I would contact the admissions office. I would also ask them if it is necessary to put all of the jobs you've ever had, as they may suggest only putting in the highlights. This is all 100% conjecture from me, just some thoughts. They're pretty quick at getting back to you via email, I find. Or just call if they still allow it .

I'm not a mature applicant, but even I myself had trouble tracking down contact information for the jobs I had when I was younger. I worked a lot of part-time jobs and I wanted to include that on my application as I discussed balancing several jobs with school in other parts of my application. Long story short, I basically ended up contacting several companies I worked for and more or less said "you may not know me, but I worked here from xx-xx, and I need someone to verify my previous work experience for a med school application. Can I get the email of someone who is able to access your records and verify this info?" I ran into a problem with 1 or 2 places, but from what I've heard the admissions office will contact you if they try to verify something and run into problems. The other option is to leave out some of your previous jobs (especially less significant ones) if you cannot find their contact info. Up to you whether you think this info is important enough to track down and include.