Premed 101 Forums

Looking for advice: British citizen living in Canada - want to move back to pursue med school

I'm looking for advice from people following a similar path, how did you fund your studies? What year did you apply? How did you apply?

I was born in Canada and have lived in Canada all my life, but I’m also a British citizen with a British passport. My mum and brother were born in England, my mum lived there for a majority of her life and my brother for three years. All of my cousins, aunts, uncles, and my mum’s stepmom (grandparents too, but have passed) live in England. I’m currently enrolled in a Canadian Biomedical undergraduate program, but would like to go to England for med school. I plan on living in England and having my career their. I’m looking for any advice and guidance! I don’t even know where to begin! I know what to do for Canada med schools, but not too sure what to do when applying to English ones.

I'm also considering applying to the undergraduate program in a year or two, instead of a graduate program.

• 2 months later...

I would check out a forum called studentroom.co.uk for advice. But to sum it up, have a high GPA, have good ECs, do some volunteering and study hard for the UKCAT and BMAT. You apply through UCAS. If you want to apply through the regular UG stream (which I would advise if you are in 1st year or 2nd year), you can only apply for 4 medical schools. If you are near graduation, might as well get your BSc and then apply for the 4 year GEM programs. 

Do note that you probably won't get domestic tuition because you haven't lived there, this will make med school expensive. Not sure if you would have to apply as an international or not though. 

• 2 weeks later...