Premed 101 Forums

When are NAQ scores sent back to all/unsuccessful applicants?

Hello all!

Applications are due September 13th, interview invitations go out early December. When does UBC send feedback to applicants regarding their scores on the AQ and NAQ part of their application?

I am submitting an application this year and I am applying OOP. Say I receive notice of my NAQ score >6 months before next application cycle and it is high enough that I could earn an interview as an IP applicant, I would consider moving to BC from where I am soon going. However, if we don’t receive feedback until March or something then I need to commit to moving to BC pretty much immediately!

32 minutes ago, Anderfishy said:

Hello all!

Applications are due September 13th, interview invitations go out early December. When does UBC send feedback to applicants regarding their scores on the AQ and NAQ part of their application?

I am submitting an application this year and I am applying OOP. Say I receive notice of my NAQ score >6 months before next application cycle and it is high enough that I could earn an interview as an IP applicant, I would consider moving to BC from where I am soon going. However, if we don’t receive feedback until March or something then I need to commit to moving to BC pretty much immediately!

You only get your scores at the time you are rejected, so either in Dec at the interview stage, or May if you make it through interviews. If you want to be IP you pretty much have to commit to moving to BC - your scores won’t help you make that decision in time for the following cycle unless you’re prepared to move on very short notice next winter.

1 hour ago, frenchpress said:

You only get your scores at the time you are rejected, so either in Dec at the interview stage, or May if you make it through interviews. If you want to be IP you pretty much have to commit to moving to BC - your scores won’t help you make that decision in time for the following cycle unless you’re prepared to move on very short notice next winter.

You may be right, but here is my plan. Any objections?

UBC states that residency is proven by submitting a photocopy of one’s BC residency card. This can be obtained after having made B.C. one’s home and having lived there for 6 months or more. I believe this means I could move there ~7 months before September 1xth of 2020, live there for 6 months, and then apply for a card with a 1 month grace period to be received in the mail. Then I can apply as UBC resident. I only ask because I recently left my job and want to travel for a bit and then move to the states for a bit as well. If I must move immediately however, I will.

Thank you for the information! 

39 minutes ago, Anderfishy said:

You may be right, but here is my plan. Any objections?

UBC states that residency is proven by submitting a photocopy of one’s BC residency card. This can be obtained after having made B.C. one’s home and having lived there for 6 months or more. I believe this means I could move there ~7 months before September 1xth of 2020, live there for 6 months, and then apply for a card with a 1 month grace period to be received in the mail. Then I can apply as UBC resident. I only ask because I recently left my job and want to travel for a bit and then move to the states for a bit as well. If I must move immediately however, I will.

Thank you for the information! 

Yes, that may work. Its not just about applying for the card though, as to be eligible for the services card you actually need to have MSP coverage. I think the wait period for MSP is now only 3 months, but I haven’t looked into it for awhile, so you should double check. You’d want to apply for MSP as soon as you arrive, and then it kicks in after the waiting period.

Edit: now that I am thinking about it, the 3 mo may only be new immigrants. .. definitely double check.

1 minute ago, frenchpress said:

Yes, that may work. Its not just about applying for the card though, as to be eligible for the services card you actually need to have MSP coverage. I think the wait period for MSP is now only 3 months, but I haven’t looked into it for awhile, so you should double check. You’d want to apply for MSP as soon as you arrive, and then it kicks in after the waiting period.

Okay I will reseach that! If it is only 3 months that isn't that big of a deal as I would be living in BC for those three months and then qualify for the card. I need to check with UBC to determine if they base residency off when I obtain the card or when I can prove I lived in the province. Work for myself though!

1 minute ago, Anderfishy said:

Okay I will reseach that! If it is only 3 months that isn't that big of a deal as I would be living in BC for those three months and then qualify for the card. I need to check with UBC to determine if they base residency off when I obtain the card or when I can prove I lived in the province. Work for myself though!

Yeah, now that I’ve said it out loud I am thinking the 3 months to get MSP be a special case for immigrants from out of Canada. Because establishing residency from another province does still take 6 months I am pretty sure. Sorry, it’s been awhile since I looked into the details specifically for Med!