Jump to content
Premed 101 Forums
Sign in to follow this  
fluffybunnyyyyy

Will I be disqualified???

Recommended Posts

I'm  an OOP applicant beginning my second degree of B.A this year (2 year program) after completing my BSc recently in 2019... Does anyone know if I'm even eligible to apply this round? I submtted all my essays and transcripts but now I'm feeling a bit uncertain whether IF i do get admitted could I leave my second degree? Will I get flat out rejected because I'm not applying in my final year? Im' stressseddddddd

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, fluffybunnyyyyy said:

I'm  an OOP applicant beginning my second degree of B.A this year (2 year program) after completing my BSc recently in 2019... Does anyone know if I'm even eligible to apply this round? I submtted all my essays and transcripts but now I'm feeling a bit uncertain whether IF i do get admitted could I leave my second degree? Will I get flat out rejected because I'm not applying in my final year? Im' stressseddddddd

Hey! Yes, you can still apply as long as you only use the grades from your previous degree (BSc. 2019). 

You will be ineligible to apply if you start a MSc. or PhD where you will not defend before the start date of Dal's MD program. I am unsure of the exact date. 

You can leave your bachelor degree. I know student's who left Dal's Pharmacy program before their final year to study Dal Med. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, yeeewww said:

Hey! Yes, you can still apply as long as you only use the grades from your previous degree (BSc. 2019). 

You will be ineligible to apply if you start a MSc. or PhD where you will not defend before the start date of Dal's MD program. I am unsure of the exact date. 

You can leave your bachelor degree. I know student's who left Dal's Pharmacy program before their final year to study Dal Med. 

 

Ty ty!! That's reassuring! :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Frederick Sanger said:

You either must finish your degree or drop out of it. The former is easier than the latter because many programs would get very upset if you were to drop out because of a medical school acceptance and it may be challenging to complete the paperwork for that. 

Hey @Frederick Sanger, I get that you're trying to be helpful to pre-med students, but this statement is actually incorrect for Dal. Please make sure that before you post "advice" that it's actually correct.

For Dalhousie Medicine, it depends on the program. Like @yeeewww said above, if it's a Masters or PhD degree, they want you to be finished before starting medical school and you need to have your degree completed before July 30 of the year you are entering. It's not about the programs getting "very upset" -- they simply won't let you start without finishing the program. So if you were applying this cycle and in a Masters or PhD program, you would need to show that your program was complete by July 30, 2020.

The exact wording is: "All degree requirements of graduate programs (including coursework, clinical practica, thesis defence and final thesis submission to your Faculty of Graduate Studies) must be completed by July 30 of the year of entry to medical school. Failure to do so will result in an offer of admission being rescinded." 

For other non-graduate degrees, there are several students in the current Med1 class that dropped out of their programs (second undergrad, pharmacy, etc) when they were accepted to Dal and adcom and the programs didn't have a problem with it. If you are unsure, I always recommend contacting Dal's adcom directly. They are so nice and will clarify things.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, notagunner said:

This sounds soooo passive aggressive lol

Lol sorry I didn’t mean it to sound that way - the Frederick Sanger guy posts a LOT on the forums (he’s running some sort of get-into-med-school business I think) but some of it is not right. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, avocado_toast said:

Lol sorry I didn’t mean it to sound that way - the Frederick Sanger guy posts a LOT on the forums (he’s running some sort of get-into-med-school business I think) but some of it is not right. 

I get that. But if you look at his posts and the advice he gives for free, it's pretty fantastic. Has he made mistakes? Of course, he's human. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, notagunner said:

I get that. But if you look at his posts and the advice he gives for free, it's pretty fantastic. Has he made mistakes? Of course, he's human. 

that is how the forum evolves as well :) There are always a bunch of people how start willing to post and advise, who then find out gaps or what not in their own knowledge as a part of the process. I learn so much though those interactions - it is always amazing to see what people have figured out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...