Premed 101 Forums

USask

tebabeba

I'm an Ontario high school student and I've done a lot of research on med school admissions in Canada. I noticed that USask has BY FAR the highest acceptance rate for IP students and that their criteria for IP status is ridiculously easy to get. My top choices before were McGill, UOttawa, Western, and UBC but now that I've seen this I think it's down to Western and USask. I feel like I'm missing something here because it really can't be that easy to get IP status in Saskatchewan. 

A lot of people, in fact most that I know, don't want to live in Saskatchewan no matter what, nevermind 3 years. It's boring and has none of the vibe of major cities like Toronto or Vancouver. Most people don't do their research early on, are short-sighted in their plans, or just don't care enough about med to move. Remember that you still have to get excellent marks to go to med anywhere, so you still have to work very hard. 

On 9/10/2019 at 11:20 AM, jkadsjfpewklcxnlkasdjpw said:

A lot of people, in fact most that I know, don't want to live in Saskatchewan no matter what, nevermind 3 years. It's boring and has none of the vibe of major cities like Toronto or Vancouver. Most people don't do their research early on, are short-sighted in their plans, or just don't care enough about med to move. Remember that you still have to get excellent marks to go to med anywhere, so you still have to work very hard. 

-

1 hour ago, YesIcan55 said:

Not true for Sask IP. You can get in there with an MCAT in the 490's and GPA below 80. Plus, they don't even consider other things like ECs/research/volunteering in their app. Just look at the acceptance threads / stats. It's almost criminal how unfair it is to get into med from Sask IP.

Why is it criminal? The province just has a greater demand for doctors than they do supply of students wanting to go into medicine, so there's less competition and lower admission stats compared to other provinces. Its not "criminal" in any way. You've made posts and comments like this before, acting offended and butthurt that its easier for IP Sask students to get in and implying that their med school is somehow lesser for it. What do you want them to do, increase their admissions requirements to make you feel better?

I really think a lot of applicants do not understand why the in province favoritism is in effect. I grew up in Saskatchewan and know intimately the shortage of doctors. My foster mom had a serious discussion of whether she should bother driving the two hours to the nearest emergency room or if she would already be dead from a heart attack by they time she got there. Follow up care was non existent too.
It takes a different type of person to practice in a place like Saskatchewan and statistically, people from Saskatchewan will be more likely to stay there to practice. It saddens me to see people thinking that in province status is a way to game the system, instead of seeing it as a way to help ensure and underserved population has a chance to attract doctors.

35 minutes ago, Azwaa said:

I really think a lot of applicants do not understand why the in province favoritism is in effect. I grew up in Saskatchewan and know intimately the shortage of doctors. My foster mom had a serious discussion of whether she should bother driving the two hours to the nearest emergency room or if she would already be dead from a heart attack by they time she got there. Follow up care was non existent too.
It takes a different type of person to practice in a place like Saskatchewan and statistically, people from Saskatchewan will be more likely to stay there to practice. It saddens me to see people thinking that in province status is a way to game the system, instead of seeing it as a way to help ensure and underserved population has a chance to attract doctors.

Honestly it really does make me sad to see how many people talk more about finding shortcuts and ways to "cheat the system" than just working hard to gain acceptance. Really makes you question their integrity.

Honestly, this is nothing new...there are tons of Ontario students that have gamed the system in their favour to get IP. The new method that I've heard for med/dent/pharm/etc is to graduate high school in SW Ontario, attend undergrad anywhere in Canada and do one year of Co-Op or employment in the territories. This gives you IP in Alberta, Manitoba, Ontario (as well as SWOMEN) and until recently included Sask. I've seen this process done by 12 individuals, and many more are considering it. The only reason I got to know about it is from a patient whose parents did this for their child and is applying this year for medicine and dentistry. Chances are he'll get in considering he's IP in multiple provinces...