Premed 101 Forums

Self-employment category

One of the things I've talked about on my app is a small eBay business that I run by myself. I have the entry in employment history currently, but I'm reading the help guide right now and I could be misinterpreting, but it seems like the section is more meant for normal, paid jobs....

Would it make more sense to fit into Diversity of Experiences??? (which i've already maxed out entries on...)

16 hours ago, Dust_Bucket said:

One of the things I've talked about on my app is a small eBay business that I run by myself. I have the entry in employment history currently, but I'm reading the help guide right now and I could be misinterpreting, but it seems like the section is more meant for normal, paid jobs....

Would it make more sense to fit into Diversity of Experiences??? (which i've already maxed out entries on...)

If you’re making money off it, I would include it in employment. A self-employed job absolutely counts as a ‘normal, paid job’ (the majority of doctors, are technically self-employed contractors ;)). I had some self-directed contracting work on my app too - it was slightly more complicated to report, but you can just give an average # hours per week or month and make liberal use of the explanatory box. 

You’ll get the same NAQ assessment of points for it in employment as you would in the non-academic section, but you won’t have to sacrifice a diversity of experience entry.