Premed 101 Forums

Best Province to get IP status?

tebabeba

1 hour ago, tebabeba said:

I'm leaning towards Saskatchewan but I've heard Alberta is also a good bet. What's the best province to get IP status? I'm an Ontarian student. 

Yukon/NWT/Nunavut - you’ll be considered IP for BC, Alberta, and Saskatchewan (and possibly other schools, I am just not up to date on the eligibility across Canada).

7 minutes ago, Pakoon said:

Saskatchewan hands down, pretty much guarantees med.

11 minutes ago, frenchpress said:

Yukon/NWT/Nunavut - you’ll be considered IP for BC, Alberta, and Saskatchewan (and possibly other schools, I am just not up to date on the eligibility across Canada).

What uni's are in the territories? I'm a high school student and looking to go for a trad route atm. I looked at Yukon College (it's a university) but they don't have any science degrees so I wouldn't be able to do any prereqs lmao. 

@tebabeba ah, in that case I don’t know that I would recommend it. There are not many options for post secondary up north, so I don’t think it’s a great option for you straight out of high school if you want to do Science. Moving north is probably better for opening up IP options for those who are done school/working and willing to move.

1 hour ago, ysera said:

sorry meant memorial and dalhousie

I looked into that (would MUCH rather live in St John's) but for Dal they require you to be an "independent student" (i.e be financially independent and not a university student) for 3 years in any Maritime province. So that just leaves MUN and the acceptance rate for USask is much higher. 

On 9/10/2019 at 11:14 AM, RiderSx said:

Best possible province to move to would be Yukon as it will give you IP status to UBC, Calgary, Alberta, Manitoba, Saskatchewan and Memorial. 

I second this ^

If you are worried about getting science prereqs look at Athabasca University and/or TRU-OL. Yukon also gives an edge because rural experience, diversity, etc. And it would be a great experience for you to build some character.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/1/2019 at 11:13 PM, Harriet said:

Hi there,

Why would it be better to be an IP resident of SK than Alberta since Alberta has two med schools?  From my calculation, the probability of getting into at least one med school in Alberta as an IP Albertan is about 35-40%.  Is that right?  Thanks 

I've been thinking that but I've seen that Saskatchewan has a much higher acceptance rate of over 60% for IP applicants. However I'm not too sure. 

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...