Premed 101 Forums

What is a part time course load? -Does my situation count?

Hi! I  have an issue. 

Right now, I face a choice of taking 29 credits in 2nd year and 31 credits in 3rd year OR taking 30 credits in both 2nd and 3rd year. I am currently doing my BSc at UBC. I'm wondering does it matter? Would I need to explain being part-time on my application?

If I take 29 in 2nd year, it would be 4 full courses  + 1 lab course in 1st term and 5 courses + 1 lab course in 2nd term.

14 minutes ago, stressedtoimpress said:

Hi! I  have an issue. 

Right now, I face a choice of taking 29 credits in 2nd year and 31 credits in 3rd year OR taking 30 credits in both 2nd and 3rd year. I am currently doing my BSc at UBC. I'm wondering does it matter? Would I need to explain being part-time on my application?

If I take 29 in 2nd year, it would be 4 full courses  + 1 lab course in 1st term and 5 courses + 1 lab course in 2nd term.

Technically a ‘full’ course load at UBC is 30 credits. The idea is basically that you achieve 120 credits of a degree in 4 years (without having to take a summer course). 

And that’s essentially what you’re doing. So adjusting this slightly between years is not likely to hurt you at all. Your situation is not really what they mean by ‘part-time’ semesters. They’re looking to see that people can balance a heavy workload, and there’s no real difference between 30 and 29 credits from that perspective. It certainly wouldn’t hurt to make a brief note that you had a slightly reduced credit load due to wanting to/having to fit some lab courses into your schedule. But I don’t think you need to think worry about it at all beyond that.