Premed 101 Forums

On 9/10/2019 at 8:10 PM, anonymouspanda said:

Will my references that have submitted their letters be notified if I do not submit my application? 

I'm considering not completing my application because it's so late in the cycle and I would rather focus on Canadian applications at the moment. 

My two cents - you should probably just tell your referees. As someone who’s written a lot of references and has experienced how much work it can be (especially to do it well), I’d be a lot more understanding if a student took the time to thank me for my efforts and told me they were overwhelmed by the applications and couldn’t complete some, than if I somehow found out later it had happened and they’d hid it from me. In the former I’d probably consider still providing future references. In the latter, I’d likely decline providing future references because I wouldn’t be able to comment positively on the student’s integrity. Trying to hide mistakes isn’t a good look on anyone, but especially not a med student.