Premed 101 Forums

notagunner

5 hours ago, notagunner said:

I know it's hard but... you got in. Did you anticipate feeling this way when you got accepted or are you surprised that you feel like this?

I anticipated it because I have, to this day, struggled with low self-esteem. I wish I could be confident and even arrogant/egoistical like some of my peers, but that simply doesn't work - Not just me, many people in my class as well. In medical school they talk about a condition called Impostor Syndrome which is similar to what you mentioned - it stays with many people even into their medical practice. 

5 hours ago, notagunner said:

I know it's hard but... you got in. Did you anticipate feeling this way when you got accepted or are you surprised that you feel like this?

It's been mentioned many times over the years here that getting in is not the end all be all. It very much is a temporary feeling for many if not most. Getting in does not solve all he problems in one's world, and things can actually unravel. Hence the researched and recorded increase in cynicism and depression rates in med students->residents-> doctors.

7 minutes ago, notagunner said:

Yeah I've heard that. Is there any data on the type of med student who gets accepted and their projected trajectory in those ratings? (i.e. entering medical school after 3rd UG, vs. re-applicant, vs. non-trad).

Not that I’m aware of, but thay would be an interesting research question. Seeing as it’s a large group thay experiences it, it most likely encompasses all three groups. Also reapplicant can be either of the other two and so not necessarily a huge determinant. You’re just lucky if it doesn’t happen it seems. But everyone will go through burnout at some point.

15 hours ago, notagunner said:

I was hesitating to ask this since it may seem short sighted and naive, but when you do feel like it's incredibly burdensome, and you're feeling burnt out (which I understand is a quite physical experience, not just mental) does it help at all to think that at the end of the road you have a secure, high income job, that (hopefully) you're interested in? The answer to this may very well be "Nope, none of it makes a different in the moment", but I'd like to know what you think.

Depends. I mean the data shows no seeing as higher suicide rate compared to national average. It’s most likely contextual (support system, therapy, meds, personal life conditions, etc). Second year cynicism starts growing and may peak in 3rd year. Residency is its own beast. It’s hard to say how someone will deal with it, because their personal life usually changes when they enter or as it goes on. Personally, stretches of no, other times meh, other times yep.