Premed 101 Forums

45 minutes ago, YesIcan55 said:

getting into medical school in the UK is 100000000x easier than getting into medical school in Canada. It's not in the same universe. 

This is incorrect. Getting into a proper A100 program as an international student without UK citizenship, is actually quite difficult. They have very few spots. Yes in many ways it is not as difficult as Canada, but definitely not as overly exaggerated haha.

There are private UK medical programs that cater to Canadians/americans but those are not the same accredidation and do not necessarily allow guaranteed right to UK postgrad training after medical school. 

10 hours ago, notagunner said:

My friends cousin got accepted to a school, he applied after his first year of University. He's average in terms of his intelligence and grades, so I'm confused as to how he got in... unless the process is easier than I would have guessed.

Do you know which school? 

1 hour ago, notagunner said:

It's a problem I have. Trust me I'm not sitting here laughing at him, this shit is depressing to me. It's not even about the kid, hes a nice kid and I do wish him well. If I was to list my emotions to this situation, they'd probably sound the same as if I was reacting to someone who cut in line ahead of me or someone who cheated to win in a race I was in. Are those analogous to this situation? What do you think? I'd love to have my perspective on this stuff changed. It would make me happy. 

I think it would help to realize that Med schools in Canada are just ridiculously hard to get into because of the high number of people applying over the number of seats available. Your friend didn't "cheat" the race, he just chose not to run in the same exorbitantly overpacked track as you and other aspiring CANMED students. Your friend is essentially doing everyone here (incl. applicants and med school committees) a favor by not putting his name and further filling up that track. And as long there are residency spots limited to CANMED students, you shouldn't even worry about those offshore students "stealing" your spot in that regard.

I cannot comment about how INTL-trained practionners affect the job market here though, but I do believe that a lot of them end up working in primary care, which we have a huge lack of anyway in Canada. 

1 hour ago, notagunner said:

It's a problem I have. Trust me I'm not sitting here laughing at him, this shit is depressing to me. It's not even about the kid, hes a nice kid and I do wish him well. If I was to list my emotions to this situation, they'd probably sound the same as if I was reacting to someone who cut in line ahead of me or someone who cheated to win in a race I was in. Are those analogous to this situation? What do you think? I'd love to have my perspective on this stuff changed. It would make me happy. 

All you need to know is that for them to come back to Canada it will be just as hard if not harder. They will have to go through a very challenging and difficult process. It isn't easy to be a doc in the UK either, training is longer there.