Premed 101 Forums

UBC site preference? How do I choose?

1 hour ago, dryorku said:

I dont actually know anything about the 4 sites, at all...

Are you from B.C. - do you know anything about the cities each site is in ? I’d start first in looking at the cities and thinking about where you’re actually willing to live for 4 years. Interested in rural training? NMP and some SMP (and a couple IMP) seats are only available if you complete the rural suitability portion of the app, so that might automatically exclude at least one site if you aren’t interested in rural.

You don’t really need to worry about this now though. Site preferences aren’t actually due until after interviews - if you have an interview you’ll have a chance to learn a bit more about the sites there. There’s a lot of threads on this forum with info about the different sites to help you make the decision. 

6 minutes ago, frenchpress said:

Are you from B.C. - do you know anything about the cities each site is in ? I’d start first in looking at the cities and thinking about where you’re actually willing to live for 4 years. Interested in rural training? NMP and some SMP (and a couple IMP) seats are only available if you complete the rural suitability portion of the app, so that might automatically exclude at least one site if you aren’t interested in rural.

You don’t really need to worry about this now though. Site preferences aren’t actually due until after interviews - if you have an interview you’ll have a chance to learn a bit more about the sites there. There’s a lot of threads on this forum with info about the different sites to help you make the decision. 

I'm not... so I don't know much about it. I did search the site for "UBC site preferences" but i didn't actually search the site names. will do that... thank you

22 minutes ago, dryorku said:

I'm not... so I don't know much about it. I did search the site for "UBC site preferences" but i didn't actually search the site names. will do that... thank you

Definitely start there - very different places of varying size, weather, terrain, population make up, types of activities to do (mountains vs. ocean vs.... wine tasting? (Sorry Kelowna ;) ) etc. They are in quite different parts of the province, particularly Prince George, which is 9 hour drive from Vancouver.