Premed 101 Forums

Second degree

Llama09

Hello! I'm graduating from UofT with a BSc this Nov 2019, and have started a second undergrad BSc in Psychology at York this September. I am doing the second degree mainly just for GPA purposes. I just had a couple questions: 

1. I've noticed people typically do a second degree in Michener, or in a BScN 2nd entry nursing program. Why are these more popular? Is it a mistake for me to have chosen a BSc Psychology at York? Should I have just gone for a BScN instead? Very worried about this.

2. I'm graduating from UofT this November, however I've started my second degree at York this September. I finished all my UofT classes in August, it's just the graduating that's in Nov. As such, is it alright that my second degree has started BEFORE I am graduating from my first degree? 

3. Does anyone have any feedback on the BSc Psychology program at York? If this is truly a good program choice for achieving a high GPA? 

Thank you!

9 minutes ago, YesIcan55 said:

It is extremely unwise to do a second UG in something like psych after having already done a BSc. Even if you get a 4.0 that is no guarantee at all of getting into med. No offence, but you should know the employment prospects of a BSc....so doing one again for the sake of maybe getting into med...is a big gamble. People should and most do second UG in areas like nutrition/education/nursing/Michener/etc which can be done in 2 years and afford one the ability to get a good job after completion if they do not get into med. 

Thanks for the response!! I understand your point, but just to clarify: I want to pursue medicine for sure. So even if this second undergrad doesn't help me get into Canadian med schools (god forbid), I'll then be going abroad for medicine (so not open to other career options). The main point of this second undergrad is to improve my chances at CANADIAN med schools. Given this context, what do you think? 

On 9/16/2019 at 9:21 PM, Llama09 said:

Thanks for the response!! I understand your point, but just to clarify: I want to pursue medicine for sure. So even if this second undergrad doesn't help me get into Canadian med schools (god forbid), I'll then be going abroad for medicine (so not open to other career options). The main point of this second undergrad is to improve my chances at CANADIAN med schools. Given this context, what do you think? 

-

Just now, YesIcan55 said:

Its very shortsighted to think this way. You need to understand the very negative implications of going abroad for medicine. There is no one in this world that should live with the "medicine is the ONLY career for me" mantra. But, if that is your plan - why not leave for abroad now? You won't have to waste more time , money, and effort in doing a second UG when you could be doing medicine now.

I understand that there are implications with going abroad, but even if I choose to go abroad as of today: I won't be able to apply till next year, then apps will roll for a year so we're looking at 2 years from now. I haven't even written my MCAT yet. So I figured, since we're looking at 2 years anyway to go abroad, why not just add another year, and take the next 3 years to do a second undergrad and improve my chances at Canadian med schools? 

On 9/16/2019 at 9:42 PM, Llama09 said:

I understand that there are implications with going abroad, but even if I choose to go abroad as of today: I won't be able to apply till next year, then apps will roll for a year so we're looking at 2 years from now. I haven't even written my MCAT yet. So I figured, since we're looking at 2 years anyway to go abroad, why not just add another year, and take the next 3 years to do a second undergrad and improve my chances at Canadian med schools? 

-

10 hours ago, YesIcan55 said:

I'm pretty sure as of 1 or 2 months ago apps were open for Australia / Caribbean / etc....I don't know about other places. Many schools abroad don't need the MCAT btw. So you don't have to wait as long as you are stating (even for next cycle). So if you go next cycle, you will only be 1 year into your new UG and won't have it complete. Instead of using this year to spend money in school, effort, etc you could work and earn money if going abroad is what you want to do for sure (which is highly not advised btw). 

Dude, chill. If the OP wants to give another shot at medicine by raising their GPA, let them. This is a much smarter 2 year investment than going abroad for medicine. At the very least, the higher GPA in this second degree may work in their favour for US medical schools. People have different hustles they have to do. OP may not get into a Canadian medical school regardless and go abroad anyways, but that is their choice to make. Everyone has a different hustle to end up at the finish line. Let them do theirs. 

14 hours ago, Aang said:

Dude, chill. If the OP wants to give another shot at medicine by raising their GPA, let them. This is a much smarter 2 year investment than going abroad for medicine. At the very least, the higher GPA in this second degree may work in their favour for US medical schools. People have different hustles they have to do. OP may not get into a Canadian medical school regardless and go abroad anyways, but that is their choice to make. Everyone has a different hustle to end up at the finish line. Let them do theirs. 

Haha thanks for this Aang! Absolutely my point here :) 

As someone who has taken psychology at York, I definitely found it to be a GPA booster (granted you put in the work). Questions on midterms are usually multiple choice questions, very objective and even IF you have a few short answer questions there are no surprises (straight off the slides or the Prof will let you know which pages the answers are before hand for e.g Health psychology). 

If medicine is truly your goal, you will find a way. Just have to protect your mental health and tone out the haters that WILL tell you what your doing is unwise. As long as you understand this time round you need to get a very high GPA, there's definitely a chance. You can do this. Just stay focused. PM about courses if you'd like.