Premed 101 Forums

Canadian Medical Schools: will getting a second undergrad help my chances?

Thank you in advance to those who reply. My purpose here is to get some real advice, I really need a realistic plan for my future and would appreciate feedback from others. Don't try to discourage me into pursuing medical school because I will keep trying anyways. Medical school is a dream of mine and I won't walk away because of negative comments so don't waste your time. 

Long story extremely short, I screwed up my first undergrad. It was a 3 yr general program in gender studies and I struggled to finish, I was barely hovering around a 2 the whole time. My reasons: abusive household (mother is an addict), depression, anxiety. Unfortunately nothing uncommon. I really just wanted to give up on life.

I finally moved out, got my own place, and got my mental health right (being treated for chronic dep). I am in my third and final year of my second degree (honours biochem) AT ANOTHER SCHOOL, so my gpa is now 3.8. 

I am worried that despite my progress, my first degree will continue to haunt me. I work in a health related field, I have a ton of ECCC's, many of my professors are pushing me to apply next year. But I am worried that when my two gpa's from both schools get combined, it won't amount to much and thus will cut me out as a candidate. Is there any advice for someone in this situation?

Should I even bother to do the MCAT and apply next year? Or should I apply to a masters program first? Honestly, any advice helps; I'm trying really hard to fix my mistakes. 

Thank you again to all who respond! Good luck to all that are applying, and congrats to those who got in! 

it does not matter that the degree is from another school. Every medical school in Canada will consider both degrees with the exception of Western assuming you meet their specific load requirements, have a high MCAT, and good non-academics, Queens assuming you meet their MCAT cutoffs and have very high non-academics, or Dal but they only take a very small number of people OOP 

22 hours ago, kakaokitty said:

Thank you in advance to those who reply. My purpose here is to get some real advice, I really need a realistic plan for my future and would appreciate feedback from others. Don't try to discourage me into pursuing medical school because I will keep trying anyways. Medical school is a dream of mine and I won't walk away because of negative comments so don't waste your time. 

Long story extremely short, I screwed up my first undergrad. It was a 3 yr general program in gender studies and I struggled to finish, I was barely hovering around a 2 the whole time. My reasons: abusive household (mother is an addict), depression, anxiety. Unfortunately nothing uncommon. I really just wanted to give up on life.

I finally moved out, got my own place, and got my mental health right (being treated for chronic dep). I am in my third and final year of my second degree (honours biochem) AT ANOTHER SCHOOL, so my gpa is now 3.8. 

I am worried that despite my progress, my first degree will continue to haunt me. I work in a health related field, I have a ton of ECCC's, many of my professors are pushing me to apply next year. But I am worried that when my two gpa's from both schools get combined, it won't amount to much and thus will cut me out as a candidate. Is there any advice for someone in this situation?

Should I even bother to do the MCAT and apply next year? Or should I apply to a masters program first? Honestly, any advice helps; I'm trying really hard to fix my mistakes. 

Thank you again to all who respond! Good luck to all that are applying, and congrats to those who got in! 

Hi! Thank you for your response. Very appreciated. What do you think I should do? Should I do grad school first? :(