Premed 101 Forums

Is it harder to specialize as an Australian grad?

On 9/29/2019 at 11:44 PM, Chaxon said:

Hey guys whatever makes you sleep at night I guess. We'll just agree to disagree.

And addressing the actual question, I believe it should be harder for any internationally trained dentist to specialize in Canada. Just since Canadian specialization seats should be resevered for Canadian educated dentists. Simply to maintain the integrity of the system.

Canadian educated dentists are usually higher caliber students from the first day in undergrad relative to people who had to go to Australia. It only makes sense for our country to invest in our best and brightest. They earned it. 

You are right that canadian educated dentists are higher caliber students. However, academic competency isn't really something that's needed (beyond a minimum threshold) out in the real world when you're an actual practicing dentist. 

Maybe what you're saying applies for an applicant that went to a lower tier australian school, but I've seen sydney grads be just as competent as domestic grads. Helll, I'd take an australian grad any day over a foreign dentist who did a 2 year equivalency at a domestic canadian school.

• 1 year later...
On 9/27/2019 at 11:43 PM, Chaxon said:

Still it's better to give a business perspective since the overall value of the degree is decreasing and therefore the salary will too. 

The proportion of new Canadian dentists that are foreign trained will soon be higher than domestic trained. I believe dentistry is just an oversaturated business and alot of people don't care for the dentist anyways. The CDA/government hasn't invested much on med school or dental school seats and now we can just have immigrants and foreign trained Canadians fill those postions. 

Obviously more supply but is the demand for dentists increasing? I'd argue, dentists putting signs of "accepting new patients" just means "needing more work".

But hey, if you got money might as well go to Aussie. If you got drive, get into Canada, and prove to yourself you actually have work ethic lol.

This is the dumbest comment I have ever seen on this forum