Premed 101 Forums

Residency Program Input

Hey all!

Would anyone happen to know the amount of input (if any) residents may have in a radiology program? I was curious to know because I find that on elective that they tend to be the ones who actually get to know you best. It is rather difficult to have any real input from someone who has seen you for half a day - as evidenced by the chuckle when giving them an evaluation lol

Also, how often (if at all) do preceptors/referees/PI's reach out to a certain program about an applicant? Or vice versa. I was having a discussion with a classmate today who made it seem like it is quite common, although I was quite skeptical.

Residents can have significant input. There are always going to be residents on the residency program committee and interview committee.

I think it is less common for conversations to be had about residency applicants between parties from different programs unless there is a specific need for further information/discussion (the reference letter serves as communication). Such conversations would be more common for physician employment postings (where the pool is smaller and the stakes higher). Of course, if all parties are at the same location, there will be internal discussions. 

On 9/24/2019 at 7:46 PM, Lactic Folly said:

Residents can have significant input. There are always going to be residents on the residency program committee and interview committee.

I think it is less common for conversations to be had about residency applicants between parties from different programs unless there is a specific need for further information/discussion (the reference letter serves as communication). Such conversations would be more common for physician employment postings (where the pool is smaller and the stakes higher). Of course, if all parties are at the same location, there will be internal discussions. 

Yeah, that totally makes sense! My classmate had told me he's heard quite a few times of a certain preceptor/PI vouching for an applicant that was applying into a different specialty. Like always, the anecdotal things tend to resonate and seem more common than it really is.

Thanks for the reply!