Premed 101 Forums

Can anyone answer a few questions about the academic explanation's essay criteria?

Sorry to bother, but if anyone has a few minutes, and knows something about the academic explanations essay, or has been accepted after doing one, could they field a few questions of mine.

1. How do they expect it to be written? Should it be completely historical in nature, or should it involve some measure of reflection on what we are explaining.

2. I've written two versions and if anyone could tell me which would be preferred that would be excellent.

Thank you all for being such a wonderful community.

12 hours ago, JahsehOnfroy said:

Sorry to bother, but if anyone has a few minutes, and knows something about the academic explanations essay, or has been accepted after doing one, could they field a few questions of mine.

1. How do they expect it to be written? Should it be completely historical in nature, or should it involve some measure of reflection on what we are explaining.

2. I've written two versions and if anyone could tell me which would be preferred that would be excellent.

Thank you all for being such a wonderful community.

From the blog posts and videos I have watched from the UofT admissions, it seems that they are interested to see what happened, and also how it affected you. I took this as a way of reflecting on the circumstance because it shows better character to have understood the situation. I also think it would evoke more emotions to speak of the circumstance personally rather than historically. 

If I were to say, just as an example "my gf broke up with me, so I took less courses, please give me weighing" I'd feel like it would come off as just an excuse.

But if you wrote "my break up impacted me this way, and I made every attempt to fight the situation and do well in school, however, the extreme stressful nature of the event pervaded my life in my first year. I worked hard in second year to bring myself up and proved to myself that I could do better. I hope that the admissions sees it fair that a chance could be given to apply the weighing and evaluate me based on my true abilities through the following years after the incidient", I'd feel like the situation really impacted you significantly. 

Just my 2 cents.