Premed 101 Forums
lowkeyMD

How much do family doctors actually make?

44 minutes ago, canada747 said:

That logic is flawed. It's not that the majority of people want those jobs, it's that there are a few jobs and slightly more people than jobs, creating demand. The # of people who want the jobs > the # of jobs -> demand. Not that the # of people who want academic jobs > # of people who want clinical/basic medical practice jobs.

I think in many cases it isn't that people want academic jobs vs say community jobs - it is that is in a lot of the major cities people would like to live the majority of the jobs are academic. Not everyone is mobile and can move to just anywhere. As an example if you have to work in ottawa for whatever reason - well the vast majority of the jobs there are academic. 

I know a ton of "academic" doctors that want nothing to do with academia. They are just dragged into it for other reasons. 

1 hour ago, rmorelan said:

I think in many cases it isn't that people want academic jobs vs say community jobs - it is that is in a lot of the major cities people would like to live the majority of the jobs are academic. Not everyone is mobile and can move to just anywhere. As an example if you have to work in ottawa for whatever reason - well the vast majority of the jobs there are academic. 

I know a ton of "academic" doctors that want nothing to do with academia. They are just dragged into it for other reasons. 

In some cases in some fields I should also mention it really is a case of way too many applicants for the jobs available at academic site. Always hard to generalize the job market ha, it is pretty complex :)

7 hours ago, canada747 said:

That logic is flawed. It's not that the majority of people want those jobs, it's that there are a few jobs and slightly more people than jobs, creating demand. The # of people who want the jobs > the # of jobs -> demand. Not that the # of people who want academic jobs > # of people who want clinical/basic medical practice jobs.

Leaving Fam docs aside a lot of sub specialties would ideally be academic if they could mainly because of the city factor - if you want to work in the 6ix or Ottawa you have way more academic options.  

if you want to Barrie then clearly you aren’t going to be an academic. 

but how many people want to work and live in big cities?

6 hours ago, Raptors905 said:

Leaving Fam docs aside a lot of sub specialties would ideally be academic if they could mainly because of the city factor - if you want to work in the 6ix or Ottawa you have way more academic options.  

if you want to Barrie then clearly you aren’t going to be an academic. 

but how many people want to work and live in big cities?

Barrie is a community hospital, they do have FM residents btw!

I have considered academic career because I love teaching medical students, the downside of being paid 20-30% and politics, and having annual reviews/less flexibility pushed me away. 

There are a lot of staff physicians in academics who don't love teaching and don't give a crap about learners, but there are a lot of doctors who care about medical education and make a positive impact. It's not about prestige per say, but impacting the next generation of physicians, so the culture of "hardcore" medicine doesn't repeat. 

You can always get involved in teaching in community hospital/clinics, the opportunity is just less. 

2 hours ago, LittleDaisy said:

Barrie is a community hospital, they do have FM residents btw!

I have considered academic career because I love teaching medical students, the downside of being paid 20-30% and politics, and having annual reviews/less flexibility pushed me away. 

There are a lot of staff physicians in academics who don't love teaching and don't give a crap about learners, but there are a lot of doctors who care about medical education and make a positive impact. It's not about prestige per say, but impacting the next generation of physicians, so the culture of "hardcore" medicine doesn't repeat. 

You can always get involved in teaching in community hospital/clinics, the opportunity is just less. 

It’s hard to stomach working more and being paid less for sure.