Premed 101 Forums

Reference Didn't Submit on time... anyone have experience?

Sorry to bother guys,

I'm completely aware that U of T considers late submissions a measure of an incomplete application. Has anyone been in this situation before? Am I completely hooped? My professor had a personal reason for why the application was submitted, and he was informed by OMSAS when he called them this morning that U of T would choose whether the application would be accepted or not. I take it U of T "choosing" simply means rejecting based on the fact that the reference was submitted late. 

As of today it says his application has been "received," though I am sure that U of T would be able to see the submission date.

Are there any circumstances where U of T would consider accepting the late submission?  Would getting my Professor to call in help at all? The dean of my faculty even offered to contact U of T to explain.

Thank you all for being so supportive and helpful.

UBC Enthusiast,

The fact you considered my feelings is truly touching and your words are a massive comfort to me. Despite the unfortunate nature of this circumstance, I cannot bring myself to be mad or disappointed with my professor. His intentions were still to help despite his own personal challenges. 

In a single sentence, you've reminded the profound impact empathy can have on another. Thank you so much. I will try to remember lessons you learn from hardship mean more than getting into medschool. 

This is a one off anecdote, a former fellow lab student had a similar issue two years ago. An explaination letter was sent to uoft and a phone call was made and while an incredibly stressful experience, that individual did get an interview that cycle (though no acceptance). While I can't say it will or won't work out. Know that there is hope. 

On 10/3/2019 at 2:15 AM, JahsehOnfroy said:

UBC Enthusiast,

The fact you considered my feelings is truly touching and your words are a massive comfort to me. Despite the unfortunate nature of this circumstance, I cannot bring myself to be mad or disappointed with my professor. His intentions were still to help despite his own personal challenges. 

In a single sentence, you've reminded the profound impact empathy can have on another. Thank you so much. I will try to remember lessons you learn from hardship mean more than getting into medschool. 

Really hope things work out for you!

Hi there,

Very similar thing happened to me last cycle. You have to call UofT admissions and they will reach out to your referee directly and "decide" if the reason is good enough. 

UofTs staff are actually incredibly helpful and as stressful as this process is, they are understanding and willing to hear what happened. My reason was approved and they accepted it technically a week late after the review was done.

I hope it works out for you, but know you do have to contact them and go through this review or the application will be voided, so you only have room to gain by reaching out to UofT directly. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 10/18/2019 at 8:49 AM, JahsehOnfroy said:

Update!

Hello Everyone,

Once again, thank you for all of your support. My application was accepted. It truly means a lot to have such an excellent network of peers on this website.

I had read something on [website that starts with r] about a UofT professor not submitting reference on time...this may have been yours? In any case, it has been in my thoughts this whole time! I am so so relieved and happy for you, I cannot imagine what a stressful time that must have been. I am so glad it's worked out!! Best of luck, fingers crossed for your interviews!