Premed 101 Forums

I think originally it was the best or at least most approachable book just to get the basics down. The terms, the concepts, and starting ideas, and the ethics around common medical rules etc. 

However I also think there was a flaw for actually interview or specifically MMI cases. Sure there were simple examples in the book but what was missing was the actual "hard part" - working through an scenario where multiple ethical goals are directly in conflict. When you have to start choosing one thing over another it starts to break down - and that is actually the interesting part of ethics. Is autonomy more important than social justice? Where does a person's rights end and society's interests override? What happens if you disagree with the standards of a particular profession - maybe you think current OMA/CMA guidelines are ethically flawed? Can you reason through all that on the clock? 

The problem is that people think the book is more than it actually is. It won't get you to the finishing line, it only gets you out of the starting gate. The rest really is practice - and really learning what your ethical approach is and seeing if it is consistent. That practice take real time and thought

I'm going to go against the grain here and say doing right is very useful for ca$sper. Despite what they tell you it's a very reductive test that's easy to solve once you figure out the principle that's being tested. All you have to do is present both sides of the argument and come down somewhere in the middle, or come down on one side and lay down justifications that would prompt you to switch your stance. But that requires you to understand what principle is being tested, which is where doing right comes in.

Source: Was told by an admin that I had the highest ca$per score of interviewed applicants at one of the schools I interviewed at 

13 hours ago, tavenan said:

I'm going to go against the grain here and say doing right is very useful for ca$sper. Despite what they tell you it's a very reductive test that's easy to solve once you figure out the principle that's being tested. All you have to do is present both sides of the argument and come down somewhere in the middle, or come down on one side and lay down justifications that would prompt you to switch your stance. But that requires you to understand what principle is being tested, which is where doing right comes in.

Source: Was told by an admin that I had the highest ca$per score of interviewed applicants at one of the schools I interviewed at 

thank you so much for the insight! did you use any other materials to prep besides casper? or do you have any other tips ^_^