Premed 101 Forums

Referee Question

5 hours ago, bearded frog said:

Its not bad, but not very helpful... why isn't your supervisor writing it? If you work in a lab or are a graduate student you basically need a letter from your supervisor/PI, some schools specifically state so.

I'm having a PI write a letter as well! I felt that myself and our technician really connected well and would speak strongly to my character reference even if we are more like co-workers. 

On 10/10/2019 at 8:52 PM, takasugi said:

What is your position relative to them? Do they supervise you or are you more like co-workers?

Personally, I think it's fine as well. I feel like some people get a little too neurotic about choosing referees and overthink things.

Its more similar to co-workers though he is the lab tech for our entire lab. In the relationship to the applicant on the CAF it mentioned examples of employment (supervisor, manager, co-worker, etc...) and since co-worker was included as an example i'm thinking it should be fine? Its a valuable character reference just wondering if it would be perceived as non-objective and would get thrown out for U of T.