Premed 101 Forums
blueskyguy

Doing FM residency in the U.S. on a visa (questions)

Hi all,

I am a Canadian citizen at a U.S. med school interested in pursuing FM. I have been hearing different things by students at my school regarding this stuff, so I wanted to get some clear answers.

If I were to complete a FM residency in the U.S. on a J1 visa, would I be able to return to Canada to live and work wherever I want right after residency? Or would I have to work in an "underserved area" or something like that, etc.? (What about doing residency in the U.S. on an H1B visa?)

i would like to live and work near my family, so I was hoping to be able to complete a U.S. FM residency (if I don't get into a Canadian residency) and then return to Ontario near my family to live and work.

Any clarification on these points would be much appreciated.

while I am not really an expect on family medicine residency rules in terms of coming back here (other than you have to write our exam etc and that route should be open) the J1 visa situation is clearer to me - there would be no restrictions.

The J1 visa only gives you restrictions on what you can do in the US - they grant the visa and they make their rules. Canada on the other hand has no restrictions at all - it isn't their visa. You don't give up your Canadian freedoms but having another country's visa. 

Same with the H1B visa except you would have the option of potentially continuing in the US with coming back to Canada for 2 years first. 

7 minutes ago, rmorelan said:

while I am not really an expect on family medicine residency rules in terms of coming back here (other than you have to write our exam etc and that route should be open) the J1 visa situation is clearer to me - there would be no restrictions.

The J1 visa only gives you restrictions on what you can do in the US - they grant the visa and they make their rules. Canada on the other hand has no restrictions at all - it isn't their visa. You don't give up your Canadian freedoms but having another country's visa. 

Same with the H1B visa except you would have the option of potentially continuing in the US with coming back to Canada for 2 years first. 

Hi there, thanks for the response!

So, just to confirm, if I complete a 3 year FM residency in the U.S. (on a J1 or H1B) I would be able to return anywhere in Canada and work right away?

Also- I thought that If I successfully complete a 3 year FM residency in the U.S., i wouldn't have to complete the Canadian exam. Is this true?

2 hours ago, blueskyguy said:

Hi there, thanks for the response!

So, just to confirm, if I complete a 3 year FM residency in the U.S. (on a J1 or H1B) I would be able to return anywhere in Canada and work right away?

Also- I thought that If I successfully complete a 3 year FM residency in the U.S., i wouldn't have to complete the Canadian exam. Is this true?

Ha I have been carefully avoiding rules about the licensing etc as it is outside of my scope - that being said in my perhaps outdate nodes there was a reference to the college of family medicine which states:

Physicians who obtained certification in family medicine in a jurisdiction acceptable to the College of Family Physicians of Canada (CFPC) through a practice-eligible route are not eligible to apply for Certification in the College of Family Physicians of Canada (CCFP) without examination.

The CCFP designation may be granted without examination by the CFPC to physicians who meet all the following criteria:

1. Graduated successfully from an accredited postgraduate training program in family medicine in a jurisdiction where the standards for accreditation of postgraduate family medicine training and the criteria for certification are judged to be comparable and acceptable to the CFPC

2. Maintained a continuous (throughout their entire career), valid, and unrestricted licence/registration to practise family medicine in that jurisdiction since completing their family medicine training program:

and under acceptable juridictions:

United States: Graduates of family medicine residency training programs that have been accredited by the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME) who hold the Diplomate of the American Board of Family Medicine (DABFM) designation

sounds like a good place to start :)