Premed 101 Forums

Pathologist in Canada

Based on what I know so far, becoming a pathologist require a MD degree; however, when I searched online for Master in Pathology and PhD in pathology, it says ppl with a BSC degree can apply too? So what is the difference between MSC/PhD in Pathology and the Pathology residency? If I just have a BSC, and apply to MSC in pathology, what I will do and where I will work in future after I completed the Master degree? I assume it is definitely not the same as those pathologist who have finished MD right? 

2 minutes ago, YesIcan55 said:

There are 2-year MSc programs that are to train one to become a Pathologist Assistant which require a BSc. There are also MSc/PhD programs in pathology that train one to work as a researcher in the field of pathology. To become a pathologist, you need to become a MD and complete a residency in pathology. The only way to become a pathologist and not a pathology researcher / pathology assistant is to do the latter method. Big differences in the job itself obviously and earning 4-5x as much being a pathologist than an assistant/researcher.  

Thank you so much for letting me to know this. I was so confused. Do you know anything about oral pathologist? I know this is from the dental path, but I know very few info about this career since not many dentists actually become oral pathologist by the end. 

Oral pathology is a subspecialty of dentistry. 3 year residency post dental school. Can also combine with a PhD or with oral medicine residency but will be longer. Very interesting specialty, lots of interesting pathology (OSCC etc.) Not the highest paying dental specialty, and most oral pathologists I know of are very research focused. Rewarding specialty for dentists with research focus and interest in basic science.

On 10/11/2019 at 8:16 PM, Pineapple13579 said:

Oh. Thanx for letting me know this! How about oral medicine? What's the difference between oral med and oral path? 

Also, just wondering, will dentist be able to work in hospitals? Or they mostly just run their own business 

actually a lot of them are both (same with many doctors actually)