Premed 101 Forums

CGPA not as great?

Hi,

I have a cGPA (thats not adjusted) at 3.1, I know that is not high, but I have heard of people getting in or being waitlisted with the potential of getting in at that GPA. I have applied to chiro school (as my second degree, also to help with GPA), but am writing my MCAT this summer. I was wondering if it is doable? I know in BC, 75% is minimum to apply for those who live there, so maybe I have a chance? I have grown up my entire life working 1-3 jobs as my father passed at a young age and I had to support my family. I have extracurriculars, a lot of job experience, and undergraduate research (no publications). I was wondering if someone could give me some advice as medicine is the only path I can truly see myself doing (international is not an option for me)?

52 minutes ago, YesIcan55 said:

I'm sorry but even if you have won the Nobel Prize, won an Olympic Gold medal, and have 10 PhD's you aren't gonna get into a Canadian medical school with a 3.1 so I have no idea where you heard of people getting in with that GPA. Every year hundreds of applicants with perfect or near-perfect GPA's don't even get interviews.

GPA from cGPA can be boosted substantially with how different schools weigh it (e.g. best 2 years, last 2 years, favouring upward trend, dropping lowest courses per year, etc.)

OP needs to do some math.

15 minutes ago, 1D7 said:

cGPA can be boosted substantially with how different schools weigh it (e.g. best 2 years, last 2 years, favouring upward trend, dropping lowest courses per year, etc.)

OP needs to do some math.

2 hours ago, futuremed999 said:

Hi,

I have a cGPA (thats not adjusted) at 3.1, I know that is not high, but I have heard of people getting in or being waitlisted with the potential of getting in at that GPA. I have applied to chiro school (as my second degree, also to help with GPA), but am writing my MCAT this summer. I was wondering if it is doable? I know in BC, 75% is minimum to apply for those who live there, so maybe I have a chance? I have grown up my entire life working 1-3 jobs as my father passed at a young age and I had to support my family. I have extracurriculars, a lot of job experience, and undergraduate research (no publications). I was wondering if someone could give me some advice as medicine is the only path I can truly see myself doing (international is not an option for me)?

yup - particularly as they are doing a new degree which has some schools removing the first one - that being said now is the time for extremely careful planning - know what schools are possible targets, how their rules work, and fix any issues regarding getting a high GPA. 

computing the wGPAs for the various schools is a bit of work, but worth it. 

9 minutes ago, YesIcan55 said:

I never said GPA couldn't go up after weighting....I was replying to the fact that he said "I have a cGPA (thats not adjusted) at 3.1, I know that is not high, but I have heard of people getting in or being waitlisted with the potential of getting in at THAT GPA." ....

I apologize I wasn't being clear enough, I meant to say people with GPAs that are not adjusted already, so their adjusted GPAs would be higher.