Premed 101 Forums

Do I have to retake the MCAT?

I got into medical school with a cumulative score lower than yours but higher CARs. If you’re confident you can obtain a higher score, especially in CARs, then it may be a good idea to retake and increase your chances. If you hate the exam and can’t bother to take it again,  it also wouldn’t be unreasonable to apply with the scores you currently have.

The only place you're barred from applying to would be Western. I think you'll just make the cutoffs for Queens. Your 127 CARS makes Mac more difficult for you, but if you have a strong GPA and do well in the CASPER, you should still be able to get an interview. Retake if you think you can do better in CARS to unlock Western and improve your chances at Mac, otherwise you're gucci for other Ontario schools. 

54 minutes ago, Trunkate said:

The only place you're barred from applying to would be Western. I think you'll just make the cutoffs for Queens. Your 127 CARS makes Mac more difficult for you, but if you have a strong GPA and do well in the CASPER, you should still be able to get an interview. Retake if you think you can do better in CARS to unlock Western and improve your chances at Mac, otherwise you're gucci for other Ontario schools. 

I thought queens needs 515+?

Hey man, instead of looking at the forums here, go to the admissions websites and look at average scores of the last few admission cycles for several different schools.  Not all Ontario schools post their stats, but other schools will give you a general idea of what people are getting.  Of course people who did really well are going to post their scores on the forum--why would an average applicant tell you what they got?

Your scores are not bad -- Honestly.  The issue is you are pretty average for an IP applicant, and a little low for OOP.  These scores will not condemn you, but they won't give you a ton of points.  You can take your chances and apply to see what the admissions office thinks of you if you think the rest of your application is ready to go.  It won't hurt you to rewrite (I would be more worried about your 126 P/S than a 127 CARS.  Your CARS is pretty close).

53 minutes ago, chkchkchickens said:

The issue is you are pretty average for an IP applicant, and a little low for OOP. 

Not to make OP feel worse, but the last year we have CMES data for says the Ontario average admitted MCAT was a 514 (128.65/127.77/128.94/129.00).  From 2017/2018 with an incomplete dataset admittedly. 

Don't put too much stock into one bad test, 127 CARS is already decent, so you could rewrite and improve the other sections and be above average with less effort than someone starting fresh. 

3 hours ago, MedicineLCS said:

Not to make OP feel worse, but the last year we have CMES data for says the Ontario average admitted MCAT was a 514 (128.65/127.77/128.94/129.00).  From 2017/2018 with an incomplete dataset admittedly. 

Don't put too much stock into one bad test, 127 CARS is already decent, so you could rewrite and improve the other sections and be above average with less effort than someone starting fresh. 

Yeah it’s just going to be a pain to fit a rewrite into my plans since I already spent one summer on MCAT. Does 514 mean the MCAT is used competitively? 

4 hours ago, chkchkchickens said:

Hey man, instead of looking at the forums here, go to the admissions websites and look at average scores of the last few admission cycles for several different schools.  Not all Ontario schools post their stats, but other schools will give you a general idea of what people are getting.  Of course people who did really well are going to post their scores on the forum--why would an average applicant tell you what they got?

Your scores are not bad -- Honestly.  The issue is you are pretty average for an IP applicant, and a little low for OOP.  These scores will not condemn you, but they won't give you a ton of points.  You can take your chances and apply to see what the admissions office thinks of you if you think the rest of your application is ready to go.  It won't hurt you to rewrite (I would be more worried about your 126 P/S than a 127 CARS.  Your CARS is pretty close).

I don’t know why my PS is lower. I didn’t find the section particularly difficult on test day. I thought it was easy actually. Ohwell