Premed 101 Forums

Thinking of moving province after MCAT CARS failure 4x

People glorify moving to Alberta like it is the answer to getting into med school here, but it is not as straight forward as it sounds.

I moved to Alberta in 2015 and initially was not able to apply to Calgary because they require 2 years of residency. So, keep that in mind. When you are able to apply, you will score very low in the CARS section and the Subjective Assessment of Academic Merit section. I didn't receive an interview last cycle (4.0 GPA, 503 (123 CARS) MCAT). I did receive an interview to UofC in 2017/18 cycle but I scored in the 90th percentile in almost every TOP 10 attribute. As you can see, I was still not accepted post interview, and my interview score was not low (around 13). 

UofA seems to be MCAT focused. The average MCAT score for IP matriculates was 513! last cycle (128.25 in each section). I would be very cautious about moving there with your low MCAT score.

Quebec is not a good place to move to either. Getting IP status takes years, and McGill is still a very competitive school.

What I think is your best course of action:

1. If you are really serious about moving, I would recommend Yukon over any other province. You will gain IP status to UofC, UofA, UBC, Manitoba, Saskatchewan, and Memorial. No other province will give you as much advantage. 

2. As painful as it sounds, you should take the MCAT again. Canada (mostly) does not frown upon multiple MCAT retakes, and a higher score will open up many doors.

1 hour ago, RiderSx said:

People glorify moving to Alberta like it is the answer to getting into med school here, but it is not as straight forward as it sounds.

I moved to Alberta in 2015 and initially was not able to apply to Calgary because they require 2 years of residency. So, keep that in mind. When you are able to apply, you will score very low in the CARS section and the Subjective Assessment of Academic Merit section. I didn't receive an interview last cycle (4.0 GPA, 503 (123 CARS) MCAT). I did receive an interview to UofC in 2017/18 cycle but I scored in the 90th percentile in almost every TOP 10 attribute. As you can see, I was still not accepted post interview, and my interview score was not low (around 13). 

UofA seems to be MCAT focused. The average MCAT score for IP matriculates was 513! last cycle (128.25 in each section). I would be very cautious about moving there with your low MCAT score.

Quebec is not a good place to move to either. Getting IP status takes years, and McGill is still a very competitive school.

What I think is your best course of action:

1. If you are really serious about moving, I would recommend Yukon over any other province. You will gain IP status to UofC, UofA, UBC, Manitoba, Saskatchewan, and Memorial. No other province will give you as much advantage. 

2. As painful as it sounds, you should take the MCAT again. Canada (mostly) does not frown upon multiple MCAT retakes, and a higher score will open up many doors.

Yukon hacks

Time and time again I am impressed by the level of gunning that premeds are capable of.

I'll save this one along with another post I saw a while back.

3) Make sure you get 90+ in all your courses (if not then aim for 85+; what I did was enrolled in extra courses (more than 5) take a look at what's needed, downloaded stuff for them, drop them BEFORE the deadline to drop courses and studied over the break and enrolled in them again the next term, so I killed it -> one less course to worry about; get past exams from upper years)

1 hour ago, 1D7 said:

3) Make sure you get 90+ in all your courses (if not then aim for 85+; what I did was enrolled in extra courses (more than 5) take a look at what's needed, downloaded stuff for them, drop them BEFORE the deadline to drop courses and studied over the break and enrolled in them again the next term, so I killed it -> one less course to worry about; get past exams from upper years)

Oh my god. I can’t imagine people doing this. That’s some crazy gaming of the system.

Sad to know that some kids these days go to school to get high marks and not to learn :(

3 hours ago, Butterfly_ said:

Oh my god. I can’t imagine people doing this. That’s some crazy gaming of the system.

Sad to know that some kids these days go to school to get high marks and not to learn :(

To be fair, people are just trying to do the best they can in the current system. It's not premeds' fault that you need a 3.90+ GPA to be competitive, especially in Ontario. Even a 3.8, which is a good GPA, puts you at a disadvantage.

33 minutes ago, RiderSx said:

What’s sad is kids go to school to have a future and it’s crushed for so many because the system is so competitive. Learning is great but won’t pay the bills unless you make a job out of it.

It's funny how undergrad is supposed to be a time to learn and make mistakes, yet the intensity of the competition makes it impossible to have a chance if you are not perfect. Unless you were raised in perfect conditions, studied without any financial stress, or went to school in manitoba or saskatchewan, you don't stand a chance against these other demi-gods.

58 minutes ago, Butterfly_ said:

the system is set up exactly to make learning for learning sake harder - much harder. 

When I give talks on this stuff, I have to explain exactly these points. I really annoys me because I think university should be for self exploration and developing the sort of skills etc you get by challenging yourself. That doesn't help you get into medical school though. 

Point 3) above is something I mention (to add to it for completeness - your premed clubs can help you learn about all these courses as well in advance including details that would improve your grade, DE courses give you the materials in full at the start so dropping them after you get the materials can extend your prep time if you take the course in the future, some people even attend classes they are aren't enrolled in so when take them later as well they have already seen everything, .......the list of these "tricks" is pretty long and the ones that work require well basically work. 

1 hour ago, rinzler said:

It's funny how undergrad is supposed to be a time to learn and make mistakes, yet the intensity of the competition makes it impossible to have a chance if you are not perfect. Unless you were raised in perfect conditions, studied without any financial stress, or went to school in manitoba or saskatchewan, you don't stand a chance against these other demi-gods.

it is a hard system - no question about it. 

I  think that most university students if they are relatively careful and importantly know they have to can get above 85% in most of the classes (that doesn't mean that again doesn't require work - one big premed problem is just not knowing you even have to). At least I hope so - I don't like the idea of all these extreme measures being required. 

1 minute ago, rmorelan said:

it is a hard system - no question about it. 

I  think that most university students if they are relatively careful and importantly know they have to can get above 85% in most of the classes (that doesn't mean that again doesn't require work - one big premed problem is just not knowing you even have to). At least I hope so - I don't like the idea of all these extreme measures being required. 

I agree with you. Once your objective is to achieve the highest marks possible, your work ethic and strategy (taking some easier courses) you take can certainly get you there. Many people  don't recognize this until it is too late.

I just hate the fact that I attended an institution for higher learning yet cared more about my marks than actual learning outcomes, after all, learning wasn't going to help me be more employable in the field I wanted to venture in, or help me pay my bills.

Hell, I did not enjoy learning for learning's sake until my Master's Degree. I wish the system rewarded you for learning outcomes rather than focusing on getting the highest marks possible.

14 hours ago, takasugi said:

To be fair, people are just trying to do the best they can in the current system. It's not premeds' fault that you need a 3.90+ GPA to be competitive, especially in Ontario. Even a 3.8, which is a good GPA, puts you at a disadvantage.

I argue that students don’t need to apply measures as extreme as what I quoted above and still are able to excel and achieve above 3.8 GPA.

However, I do agree that the system is not set up in a way that encourages learning. 

5 hours ago, rinzler said:

That’s why I’m moving to Australia for medical school, I’ve had enough of this joke of a process. I’ll take my chances. 

Some of the stuff you said applies to me and earlier on in my undergrad I did do some academic exploring because I was curious and wanted to discover new things. I never failed anything but my grades in these things were mostly  B/B+/A-‘s. I don’t have anything lower than a B on my transcript. The result of this foolish decision? Can’t go to medical school in Canada now. 

4 hours ago, Butterfly_ said:

I argue that students don’t need to apply measures as extreme as what I quoted above and still are able to excel and achieve above 3.8 GPA.

However, I do agree that the system is not set up in a way that encourages learning. 

Don't worry ... I didn't apply those measures and I brought the accepted average DOWN TO 3.9.

You're welcome 

- G

4 hours ago, Sickofitall said:

That’s why I’m moving to Australia for medical school, I’ve had enough of this joke of a process. I’ll take my chances. 

Some of the stuff you said applies to me and earlier on in my undergrad I did do some academic exploring because I was curious and wanted to discover new things. I never failed anything but my grades in these things were mostly  B/B+/A-‘s. I don’t have anything lower than a B on my transcript. The result of this foolish decision? Can’t go to medical school in Canada now. 

Trust me when I say that those with Bs still get into med school

Otherwise I'd probably still be doing statistics right now. 

- G

2 hours ago, GH0ST said:

Trust me when I say that those with Bs still get into med school

Otherwise I'd probably still be doing statistics right now. 

- G

Saaaaaame.

posts here are biased and people are ashamed to post if they DONT have 3.9+...

(I had one C+ On my undergrad transcript...it’s not helpful but not impossible to surmount!)

In contrast, no grade issues in med or with qualifying exams. 

5 hours ago, GH0ST said:

Don't worry ... I didn't apply those measures and I brought the accepted average DOWN TO 3.9.

You're welcome 

- G

Thanks buddy. 

9 hours ago, Sickofitall said:

I think your academic exploring will help you in times you least expect it. Some of the greatest things I learned were from taking courses that weren’t mandatory for my degree, but were from elective courses that I had a genuine interest in. Though it may feel “foolish” now, your diversity of experiences will probably give you an advantage or opportunity in the future—it just haven’t happened yet. 

I wish you all the best in your studies.

On 10/16/2019 at 9:21 PM, Butterfly_ said:

I don't see anything wrong with it. The system is set up in such a way that makes this the reality. When you make people study something they don't want for 4 years just to prove they can handle med school this is what you get. 

I've met a lot of people who've been burned by doing things as "they were meant to be". People who took hard courses that were interesting, people who did electives out of interest rather than for the specialty they were applying to etc etc.. 

16 hours ago, Butterfly_ said:

Thanks buddy. 

I think your academic exploring will help you in times you least expect it. Some of the greatest things I learned were from taking courses that weren’t mandatory for my degree, but were from elective courses that I had a genuine interest in. Though it may feel “foolish” now, your diversity of experiences will probably give you an advantage or opportunity in the future—it just haven’t happened yet. 

I wish you all the best in your studies.

Thanks for the kind words