Premed 101 Forums

GPA cut-off :(

How stringent is uOttawa's Faculty of Medicine in regards to meeting the minimum WGPA (which is 3.85 for this cycle)? Any chance to get in with something *a bit* lower if you have a great ABS/CASPer score?

Has anyone ever gotten in without meeting the cut-off (for any school, not just uOttawa), or is the GPA the first thing they look at and you're automatically rejected if you don't meet the minimum?

From what I understand, the GPA cut-off for Ottawa is very strict. They've told us before that even though the cut-of is 3.85, the lowest GPA accepted is typically 3.90+ (it was 3.92 in 2015). This is because people get sent invites off the waitlist in brackets (based on interview score), in order based on GPA. 

Your best bet is still to ask admissions. They are very friendly if you send them an email.

35 minutes ago, bins said:

From what I understand, the GPA cut-off for Ottawa is very strict. They've told us before that even though the cut-of is 3.85, the lowest GPA accepted is typically 3.90+ (it was 3.92 in 2015). This is because people get sent invites off the waitlist in brackets (based on interview score), in order based on GPA. 

Your best bet is still to ask admissions. They are very friendly if you send them an email.

Thank you, I did email and I got the following response: 

"Candidates who meet the required minimum average set for their category will see their application advance in the selection process and those who do not meet the minimum cut-off will not advance further."

I just wanted to make sure there was absolutely no chance of getting in so that I don't have regrets later. 

When you say "they've told us," who's 'they' and who's 'us', if I may ask? Did you call admissions office and ask? 

• 1 month later...