Premed 101 Forums

If I could turn time back to first year undergrad, I probably still would not make it to a Canadian med school

Going back time with whatever I know right now of course,,,

I would still suck at MMI or CASPER or whatever else is going on, I'm just not a good on-spot thinker/talker.

I would still suck at verbal/CARS,,,I was lucky I got a 10 in verbal that year,,,and if getting a 10 is lucky then that definitely says something about me,,,

Would I get a paper out during undergrad? Maybe some co-authored ones, but I doubt I would get a first-author out.

People who get accepted into a Canadian med school are just an entirely different species than me.

Have been looking at the interview section lately and just thought to rant a bit,,,

7 hours ago, 命运的羽毛 said:

Rant has nothing to do with current life, just a bit lingering bitterness/shame/lamentment?? about taking an easier way out to become a doctor.

I wouldnt call getting into a USMD the easier way! Not at all. Those that get into USMD were just as qualified for Canadian MD but likely mostly just unlucky or at a slight deficit that the rigid Canadian system woudnt allow one to overcome.

Is the person who got rejected by Canadian MDs for a low verbal reasoning score but got into many USMDs including Harvard "taking the easier way out"? I dont think so. An old undergrad colleague couldn't get passed a 7 on verbal reasoning back in the day but consistently scored 14 or 15 on the science sections. She took it 3 times. Was ESL but otherwise very social and her conversational English was excellent. She had no issues building rapport and being extremely involved in a non obnoxious premed way.

Id try and let it go and remember you still made it through a very competitive process.