Premed 101 Forums
pinkneuron

The Nontrad Rant Thread

So I'm not entirely sure if this is a great idea. But I'm very stressed, as are a lot of others. As a non-trad, I have finally applied to med school after contemplating for so long and oh boy, this process is reallllyyyyyyyyy getting to me. I thought that this thread could serve as an outlet to just RANT and LET OUT ALLLLL YOUR STRESSS (anonymously..kinda..) and maybe you'll feel cathartic (if catharsis is even a legitimate thing). Maybe we can all support each other through this neurotic premed journey. I'm doing this on a whim so if this is a bad idea let me know and I will delete. 

So I actually don't have anything particular to rant about right now (kinda ironic I know).

1 hour ago, IMislove said:

Was a fifth time applicant, don’t worry I gotchu. There is another on here who was as well. You can do it :). Just know there are sacrifices that come with getting in.

As someone who's applied 3 times so far with no luck, this is inspiring. Congrats future Dr. 

Wow you guys are troopers, your persistence is amazing!

Okay, here's my lil rant:

I'm just so tired and I keep wondering if it's okay to rest and forget about the premed grind FOR A BIT. I have a tendency to become really narrow focused when I really want to achieve something. It's great for productivity but it can be so mentally consuming. I wanted to become a doctor because I thought it would be such a meaningful career FOR ME and great FOR MY LIFE. No external expectations from anyone else but for myself only. But this whole thing really just consumed me, and sucked the life out of me recently. I just want to rest and self-care for a bit. This doesn't mean that I'm not cut out for medicine right? I'm not much of a type A person normally and I don't even recognize myself anymore :/

I swear the worst B word you can say is BURNOUT.

To anyone reading this, PLEASE TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF THROUGHOUT THIS JOURNEY :wub::wub::wub: 

Okay rant over I think.

Does anyone feel old with this process? I'm in my late 20's and I don't know what's going on but I'm starting to feel very rushed. I see all my friends start their careers and I am still working at random jobs while trying to re-write the mcat / reapply. I'm starting to worry that this is going to last years and then what? I think it also has to do with some of my friends coming back from international medical schools (Ireland/carrib) and actually match here in Canada without a problem. Makes me wonder if I should of taken that route instead (not that i have the means to do that). Just a saturday morning rant

On 10/25/2019 at 9:50 PM, pinkneuron said:

Wow you guys are troopers, your persistence is amazing!

Okay, here's my lil rant:

I'm just so tired and I keep wondering if it's okay to rest and forget about the premed grind FOR A BIT. I have a tendency to become really narrow focused when I really want to achieve something. It's great for productivity but it can be so mentally consuming. I wanted to become a doctor because I thought it would be such a meaningful career FOR ME and great FOR MY LIFE. No external expectations from anyone else but for myself only. But this whole thing really just consumed me, and sucked the life out of me recently. I just want to rest and self-care for a bit. This doesn't mean that I'm not cut out for medicine right? I'm not much of a type A person normally and I don't even recognize myself anymore :/

I swear the worst B word you can say is BURNOUT.

To anyone reading this, PLEASE TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF THROUGHOUT THIS JOURNEY :wub::wub::wub: 

Okay rant over I think.

it can definitely get consuming. I remember starting this process full of energy. I felt like I could do it without a problem but after a while.. it gets consuming and you can lose yourself easily. That definitely happened to me last year and I had to take a few months off to just take care of myself / therapy. Take the time you need to refuel and care for yourself. Doing this is so important it definitely does NOT mean you're not cut out for medicine! 

Yeah pinkneuron I agree with ABCD13 entirely.

I'll give you some insight into my struggle and maybe it'll help you feel better lol

I attempted to take 3 science pre reqs while working in 2016 and ended up having to withdraw due to the B word... hella burnout, had to take a year off of work to figure out how to take care of myself properly so it doesn't happen again.  So now I'm concerned that will look terrible on my application, BUT I am also hopeful that doing them and succeeding now (1 at a time while working... self-care, self-care, self-care), will speak a lot more to my character than simply giving up.

You're not alone, I can tell you that!  I find that I start thinking I need to get things done ASAP (I'm 30) and that's when I start doing way too much way too fast and get overwhelmed and self sabotage and give up due to stress. 

As much as I don't want to say it, it is the old tortoise and the hare theme...  it doesn't matter how long it takes you to get there, it's that you succeed in getting there.  That will look different for every person, and med schools thankfully recognize that nowadays.

Good luck to you!  And always here if you need a rant you can PM me.

Who knows, maybe we will end up applying in the same app cycles!