Premed 101 Forums

International dentists

Hello,

Is there any international dentist out here who has given the NDEB exams? The entire procedure takes about 2-3 years and I need help in what to do meanwhile.Many students say they do a dental assisting course and work as an assistant but how does that help your resume become more impressive? Does being an assistant really give brownie points when you put yourself out there in this competitive market or is there any other related course you can enroll in which will aid in the future? 

I don't know too much about the NDEB equivalency process except the odds of passing all three exams is not in you favour https://ndeb-bned.ca/en/dental-programs/historical-pass-rates.

I would look into applying to a Qualifying degree program at a Canadian dental school. This allows you to keep up with your clinical skills instead of waiting around for 2-3 years and gives any potential employers confidence in your abilities.

Enrolling into DDS program has 2 drawbacks - 

1) It’s very costly almost double the price of the equivalency process

2) We have to give the AFK i.e exam 1 of the NDEB before apply for colleges.

Overall, it is more time consuming and not cost efficient.

On 10/21/2019 at 4:31 PM, Sadaf said:

Enrolling into DDS program has 2 drawbacks - 

1) It’s very costly almost double the price of the equivalency process

2) We have to give the AFK i.e exam 1 of the NDEB before apply for colleges.

Overall, it is more time consuming and not cost efficient.

It seems that way on paper but many dental clinics do not hire internationally trained dentists, so enrolling in the DDS program will certainly help “localize” your credentials and hence help you out getting a job greatly. 

The biggest issue foreign dentists have is getting jobs/associateships and having patients genuinely want to seek care from them.

The reason why FTD's do the ITD programmes at schools like U of T and Western is not because it is easier, it's because it's harder. And demands more of them. It demands that they learn, understand, and match Canadian standards of care, as well as integrate/ingratiate into the culture. 

That said, there are plenty of ITD students out there who are clearly there to just 'get done' and 'get through it,' and these are the people who typically struggle the most, have a desperate/entitled/impatient attitude, and go through a lot of heartache.

How do I know? Because I teach them.

I am not saying that any of this is unexpected. I understand why people want to come here, and why, even through the exam or schooling process, they're trying to get done as fast as efficiently as possible. It's a large financial & temporal outlay of resources.

But the simple fact is that doing it with the tunnel-vision mindset of just getting that piece of paper that legally entitles you to practice in Canada is doing yourself no favours. It's putting the cart before the horse, the ends before the means. 

That said, I know ITDs whom I call amongst my colleagues and friends who are great people, great dentists, and practice in a manner that I condone and find honourable. But, to be perfectly frank, that is unfortunately the exception to the rule.

Really search your soul as to why you want to do this and how you want to do it.