Premed 101 Forums

GPA Not Counted Past a Cut-Off?

Hi Everyone,

Does anyone know if the U of A only sets a GPA cut-off now (I've heard 3.3 which aligns with their lower bound on acceptances the past few years), and doesn't consider GPA past that? I've seen a few posts on this from a few years back, and also have talked with a few people I know who are in the program/involved with the program who all seem to think that the school has adopted this policy. Has anyone else heard about this or even had this confirmed to them? 

Thanks!

7 minutes ago, YesIcan55 said:

I wish, but this is not the case. In fact I was the one who started this rumour a few years ago lol 

It's weird that it's become so prevalent from one forum post. A friend of mine who used to be involved with admissions told me he thinks it's true based on the trends in GPA, or at the very least they've heavily de-emphasized GPA. Thanks for the insight though!

26 minutes ago, YesIcan55 said:

it isin't though. The average entrance GPA has been consistently 3.80- 3.85 for the past few years for IP and even higher for OOP. The people who get in below 3.70 are still the exception not the rule. If the new rule was in place (which is not) you would have MANY more people accepted below 3.70

I had the exact same counter-argument and I agree with you that they haven't done the cut-off thing. I do think that they heavily de-emphasized it a few years ago (starting with the class of 2020), and may be making slight tweaks to it if you look at the upward trend in the average age of the classes. Without more detailed stats it's impossible to tell the full extent of their changes, but it's an interesting discussion regardless!

Just now, YesIcan55 said:

Agreed. Although the average entrance age increase has a lot more to do with the fact that a couple of years ago they stopped allowing 2nd and 3rd year undergrads to apply (you need to be in 4th year UG and graduating or higher) to apply now. 

100%, was more referring to this past year as it went up over half a year when the prior two were about equal in average age. Probably just an outlier though!

UofA is the least transparent medical school in Canada. Everyone thinks Queens is a black box but I don't think that is the case (GPA + MCAT are cut-off based, then you are evaluated competitively based on your ABS and CAF - simple). But we have absolutely no idea how MCAT, GPA, CASPer or the Personal Activites section are evaluated at UofA. They could all be cut-off based, or they could all be competitive-based, or a mix of both.