Premed 101 Forums

Would doing 4.5 years be frowned upon by UBC med?

6 minutes ago, Condude said:

As long as you're doing something in the other half a year, it should be fine. If there's just a glaring half year hole where you did nothing, it would probably be viewed unfavourably.

Thanks! I plan on applying to graduate school in December so if I get in to the program I would graduate and work full-time or part-time + volunteering between January - September when I should be entering the grad program.

23 hours ago, Olle said:

I'm planning to take a few more courses to keep my options open for some graduate schools. I don't need a full year to accomplish the prereqs so I am planning to take a half year after my fourth. Would this be frowned upon by UBC med?

No. It’s fine. In fact, getting some life experience and working or doing other things with your time besides full time school will likely only help you.

On 10/27/2019 at 2:27 PM, Condude said:

Then that should be good! A lot of people get in after being out of school for 1+ years, so I can't see how spending a semester working could be held against you.

I think you mean most people get in after multiple application cycles. Let’s not pretend this process isn’t as competitive as it actually is.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/29/2019 at 12:44 AM, foasenf said:

I think you mean most people get in after multiple application cycles. Let’s not pretend this process isn’t as competitive as it actually is.

I didn't mean to imply otherwise! It's an insanely competitive process, and it can absolutely take several applications (it took me 3, for example) before you get in.