Premed 101 Forums

Social Accountability Initiative WGPA Cut-off

So I asked Admissions about the WGPA cut-off for Social Accountability Initiative applicants. They asked me what my geographical location was (Ontario), and then gave me the WGPA cut-off for the Ontario English (3.85) and French stream (3.7). But they didn't specify if this was for SAI only.

Going off this, is it possible that the cut-off is not lowered for SAI eligible applicants? 

50 minutes ago, conbrio said:

So I asked Admissions about the WGPA cut-off for Social Accountability Initiative applicants. They asked me what my geographical location was (Ontario), and then gave me the WGPA cut-off for the Ontario English (3.85) and French stream (3.7). But they didn't specify if this was for SAI only.

Going off this, is it possible that the cut-off is not lowered for SAI eligible applicants? 

If I read on that website correctly, SAI have to undergo the exact same pre-criteria as the general stream, therefore GPA, CASPer, ABS are subjective to the same cut-offs/scoring as the general stream. The only difference is that pre-interview you have a two chances to receive an interview invite 

5 hours ago, CardiacArrhythmia said:

If I read on that website correctly, SAI have to undergo the exact same pre-criteria as the general stream, therefore GPA, CASPer, ABS are subjective to the same cut-offs/scoring as the general stream. The only difference is that pre-interview you have a two chances to receive an interview invite 

I believe the reserved seats are post-interview. Correct me if I'm wrong.

15 hours ago, aloeplant said:

I believe the reserved seats are post-interview. Correct me if I'm wrong.

The 2 reserved seatings are designed for the pool of SAI applicants. It’s stated that you need to 1) be eligible for the seats first and 2) you’re placed into a different pool if you’re eligible for SAI status. If you don’t qualify for SAI status your application is moved back into the general French or English stream. So really, you need to qualify for SAI prior to file review.

But with all things new and unclear, seek clarity from admissions through phone/email.

12 minutes ago, takasugi said:

How will 2 seats even help.... They are probably going to be taken by people who would've gotten in anyways... 

It's not much, I'll give you that. Honestly, just seems like: "Here are our token 2 poor people! See, we're doing our part!"

After using criteria that have been shown to weed out socioeconomically disadvantaged people (e.g. high GPA and MMI), setting an arbitrary income cut-off, which is only one narrow aspect of socioeconomic status, for 2 seats seems subpar. 

Still, it's the only reason I applied to Ottawa this year. :P

Although it may seem unhelpful to some people, students coming from LSES have had to overcome crazy obstacles to even be able to go to university (speaking from my own experience). While the WGPA is still the same as the other schools, anyone has to say it is impressive to be able to 1) achieve that WGPA, and 2) work multiple jobs and volunteer, WHILE maintaining their marks. Yes it would be nice to have a lower WGPA, but this is their first year with this initiative and they could possibly lower it depending on how many people apply and qualify for it. I was personally thrilled for this because it is helping students who need it the most. It is not perfect, but there is always room for future revisions. Anyways, just me going off on a tangent a little.