Premed 101 Forums

What would I need to work as a FM in the US?

lowkeyMD

My family lives in the US, so I'd like to keep my option of working there open. I'm deciding between IM and FM, and now considering the ease of intl work with either residency. I've heard that working FM in the US is basically impossible because we have one less year of training, but I've also heard that it's not hard at all... Can anyone shed light on this?

And, if anyone is aware, does being an IM vs FM make a difference in how easy it is to find jobs in other countries (non-US) around the world e.g. Europe, Middle East, Australia, etc?

On 10/30/2019 at 8:14 AM, lowkeyMD said:

My family lives in the US, so I'd like to keep my option of working there open. I'm deciding between IM and FM, and now considering the ease of intl work with either residency. I've heard that working FM in the US is basically impossible because we have one less year of training, but I've also heard that it's not hard at all... Can anyone shed light on this?

And, if anyone is aware, does being an IM vs FM make a difference in how easy it is to find jobs in other countries (non-US) around the world e.g. Europe, Middle East, Australia, etc?

You need to do an extra year of residency via a +1 of some sort formally or informally, in Canada or the US depending, and then get the the reciprocity for CCFP etc.

FM will be easier generally than IM for non-us. Maybe not as lucrative though.