Premed 101 Forums

GPA Scale and Indigenous Applications

Hey I have a couple of questions regarding my application! 

1) how does the 4.5 GPA scale work? My school uses a 4.3 scale.

2) has anyone else applied as Indigenous and done the panel interview? I am an applicant this year and was offered an interview as an out of province indigenous student. It is my first time applying to med schools at all, and I only know many non-indigenous applicants. 

I know a couple of people who have done indigenous interview.  I could be wrong but I believe they said they usually have 20 interviews and there is no limit to how many they admit to be accepted. Both people I know did not get in and tried 3 times. It's almost like a job interview with the questions they ask and will pull from your biography. I believe it's a panel of 4-5 people. 

The way the panel worked for me was there were 3 interviewers and each one took turns asking a series of questions. About half the questions seemed to be actually quite similar to MMI style questions with the added disadvantage of not having 2 minutes to think about them which I found particularly challenging. Additionally it's more if a 'get to know you' style interview. It's been quite a while but I think I recall them asking things like why medicine? Why not nurse vs paramedic? Why Manitoba? And why do you think you'd qualify for the aboriginal pool? They didnt ask me much about my community involvement but they doesn't mean they won't. Also it's been 4 years since then so I can't say how or if the panel has evolved since then. All around I actually found it much more challenging than the MMI but I would likely attribute that to not spending as much time preparing for it. Hope this helps!