Premed 101 Forums

Looking for nontrad friends

I think a good first step is to use the search function, as many questions have been asked before, including the second degree. Many people have taken it as an option, including myself. If you can figure out why your grades were lower and how to improve. Having a plan is important. It's also important to know it may not work out (medicine), and that the second degree should be something you're interested in that can allow you to work afterwards. Hope that helps.

1 hour ago, IMislove said:

I think a good first step is to use the search function, as many questions have been asked before, including the second degree. Many people have taken it as an option, including myself. If you can figure out why your grades were lower and how to improve. Having a plan is important. It's also important to know it may not work out (medicine), and that the second degree should be something you're interested in that can allow you to work afterwards. Hope that helps.

What was your second degree in?

I don’t usually give that information out. There are multiple avenues though of getting a second degree, especially fast tracked, and they include nursing, occupational health, and public health. Others do another degree and use transfer credits. Each have their pros and cons with marks and job afterwards. Nursing for example has subjective marking when in the clinical setting. Definitely a personal decision for you. I would do some research into the programs and see what tickles your fancy, because being interested in the content reallllly helps with studying.

On 11/5/2019 at 11:33 AM, IMislove said:

I don’t usually give that information out. There are multiple avenues though of getting a second degree, especially fast tracked, and they include nursing, occupational health, and public health. Others do another degree and use transfer credits. Each have their pros and cons with marks and job afterwards. Nursing for example has subjective marking when in the clinical setting. Definitely a personal decision for you. I would do some research into the programs and see what tickles your fancy, because being interested in the content reallllly helps with studying.

Can you pursue med school with a nursing degree? Is that an option?

3 minutes ago, IMislove said:

100%, some in my class and the year above. Plus other years and other schools. It’s doable, just gotta be diligent and likeable during your rotations I suppose.

Apparently unis will still consider your first degree when you apply? Are there any programs that look mainly at the most recent 4 years of study instead? 

2 hours ago, Thethinofit said:

Apparently unis will still consider your first degree when you apply? Are there any programs that look mainly at the most recent 4 years of study instead? 

Some like Ottawa, queens, and western do recent or best years. Look into their GPA requirement.

You can pursue med school with any degree.

Choose something that you’re interested in and make sure you get high marks :)!

I have friends in med school from all sorts of different backgrounds. Drama, History, Law, Psych, Vet, Politics, etc...

I personally came from business and never took a science course in undergrad.

Best of luck!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
On 11/8/2019 at 2:46 PM, IMislove said:

Some like Ottawa, queens, and western do recent or best years. Look into their GPA requirement.

Hi there, 

I am currently about to enrol in the 2 year Accelerated Public health degree at Ryerson. I was wondering if completing this program would make me ineligible to apply to Western due to their 3 of 5 rule? Were there any school that you could not apply too after completing the 2 year degree? Could you please shed some light on this.

Thank you