Premed 101 Forums

JD to MD Advice

Hi all,

I’m currently a JD student at a law school in Canada and am interested in pursuing medical school after I graduate and article. Reasons for doing so aren’t too important here but if anyone is wondering, feel free to private message me.

I would like some advice regarding a future application/things I can do to set myself up to do well.

Current Info:

Undergrad GPA: 3.95ish CGPA, L2 and B2 about the same.

Undergrad Degree: Business.

Law School GPA: N/A. My school has an alternate grading scheme that does not give out letter grades that can be converted into a GPA.

ECs: Average. Done a couple leadership activities in undergrad and law school. Nothing too amazing but not sparse.

Research: Obviously none.

MCAT: Haven’t written it yet. Not too concerned about the CARS section (I’ve heard that’s the most important one) given my background but the science sections are certainly going to require some effort.

I have some pre-reqs (two semesters of Gen Chem, one semester of physics) but not all. If needed, I’m considering doing them in my 3rd year of LS, thoughts?

Overall, I would like some advice on the best way to proceed, things I should do/should not do, and any advice in general.

Thanks for all your help!

5 hours ago, JD2MD said:

Hi all,

I’m currently a JD student at a law school in Canada and am interested in pursuing medical school after I graduate and article. Reasons for doing so aren’t too important here but if anyone is wondering, feel free to private message me.

I would like some advice regarding a future application/things I can do to set myself up to do well.

Current Info:

Undergrad GPA: 3.95ish CGPA, L2 and B2 about the same.

Undergrad Degree: Business.

Law School GPA: N/A. My school has an alternate grading scheme that does not give out letter grades that can be converted into a GPA.

ECs: Average. Done a couple leadership activities in undergrad and law school. Nothing too amazing but not sparse.

Research: Obviously none.

MCAT: Haven’t written it yet. Not too concerned about the CARS section (I’ve heard that’s the most important one) given my background but the science sections are certainly going to require some effort.

I have some pre-reqs (two semesters of Gen Chem, one semester of physics) but not all. If needed, I’m considering doing them in my 3rd year of LS, thoughts?

Overall, I would like some advice on the best way to proceed, things I should do/should not do, and any advice in general.

Thanks for all your help!

Why not graduate from law, and spend a year doing some basic science coursework online or in person, then tackle the MCAT? I wouldnt take extra science courses while completing your 3rd year of your law degree, theres absolutely zero reason to do something like this and risk getting poor grades - that would be foolish.

What province are you in? EDIT: I see your IP in Alberta: With this, and your stellar GPA, i would definitely consider trying to prep for the MCAT properly for all sections, you dont necessarily need to take further formal science coursework, if youre capable of self-study and learn (clearly you can, with your stellar GPA and otherwise strong performance in law which requires absorbing a fair amount of material).  

Your other option is to put all your eggs in one basket and try to write the MCAT just for the CARS section and apply only to McMaster. 

4 hours ago, JD2MD said:

Western, Queens, U of C, or U of A

It's impossible to gauge your odds at Western without an MCAT score. Queens, with a decent MCAT, maybe, but it's a black box. UofC probably also decent. UofA may also be good, depending on your MCAT. 

It's extremely difficult to gauge your school choices without an MCAT. Sometimes someone's GPA closes doors (not in your case) but it's tough to say where you'd be competitive without an MCAT score.