Premed 101 Forums

Low MCAT

Hi everyone, hoping for some advice on my stats if possible - going crazy reading through all these threads every day

MCAT 509 - 126/127/127/129

2YGPA: 3.87 (cGPA is very low - 3.52)

My extracurriculars are good; President of international non-profit, research assistant on multiple projects (no publications though), 600+ hospital volunteering hours w/ patients, made a documentary, health promotion work, medical first aid experience

Thanks in advance for any input and consideration!

MCATs on the lower end, so hard to say, but your 2yr should be fine. As we’re a black box it’s hard to comment honestly because many applicants who seem competitive in paper don’t get an interview and others do. All in how you write your application, plus it seems unique features that other applicants don’t have may play a role, but that’s just my observation over the many years being on here. Good luck!

15 minutes ago, IMislove said:

MCATs on the lower end, so hard to say, but your 2yr should be fine. As we’re a black box it’s hard to comment honestly because many applicants who seem competitive in paper don’t get an interview and others do. All in how you write your application, plus it seems unique features that other applicants don’t have may play a role, but that’s just my observation over the many years being on here. Good luck!

Thanks so much for the reply - I can appreciate the difficulty in assessing what might get through and what wouldn't! Regarding my extracurriculars, I love what I do, but I'm wondering now if it looks too standard? Not sure if it's some you could advise on, but what sort of culture is Queens hoping to cultivate? Should I look into exploring certain areas of interest for ECs over others? thanks again!

Can’t say one thing over another, but definitely something that sets you apart. Something that most people don’t have. Sounds vague but it is by virtue of being unique. Definitely something that you enjoy though. Demonstrating CANMEDs roles is a big thing which I think your ECs would demonstrate. Not much else I can say sadly. 

If you're a graduate applicant, seems like they need to meet MCAT threshold, but GPA cut-offs are lower? 

Graduate applicants that have met the MCAT requirements but not the undergraduate GPA, will be reviewed separately, by a subcommittee of the Admissions Committee, from the general pool of applicants

(https://meds.queensu.ca/academics/undergraduate/prospective-students)

7 hours ago, spotsanddots said:

If you're a graduate applicant, seems like they need to meet MCAT threshold, but GPA cut-offs are lower? 

Graduate applicants that have met the MCAT requirements but not the undergraduate GPA, will be reviewed separately, by a subcommittee of the Admissions Committee, from the general pool of applicants

(https://meds.queensu.ca/academics/undergraduate/prospective-students)

I'm an undergraduate student, hoping to avoid doing any sort of graduate degree! Do you think I'd need to retake the MCAT to get into Queens? Thanks so much for your reply!

5 hours ago, Bambi said:

Become IP in Quebec, McGill does not require MCAT. For ECs, volunteering, demonstrating empathy, leadership, management, Commu;ication, collaboration skills, CanMEDS competencies is what is important.

Financially speaking, I think I need to stay put in Ontario :( do you think I'd stand a chance getting into Queens with my current stats or do you think I'd need a retake? Thanks so much for the help!

44 minutes ago, canadianguy7 said:

Rewrite might be helpful for opening more doors. A 128 in CARs is very good for Western and Mac, it will also allow you to apply to Calgary and Alberta (2 of the cheapest med schools in Canada). But make sure that you can improve to a 128 in CARs, do some practice passages and guage where ur at with some practice CARS tests

Thanks very much for the help! I think that might be my best bet.. can I ask which sites/third parties you used to prep for CARS? I feel like I run out of materials so fast!

11 hours ago, Athervi said:

Thanks very much for the help! I think that might be my best bet.. can I ask which sites/third parties you used to prep for CARS? I feel like I run out of materials so fast!

Not the guy you're replying to but UWorld, Khan Academy, and Testing Solutions are all really good IMO. Kaplan and TPR are OK, and then JW sucks. A lot of people like JW though and it's free, so maybe take a look through a few passages and see how you like it. I just didn't think they were representative and I didn't like knowing how many people got each question right/wrong as it was demoralizing.

16 hours ago, Athervi said:

I used EK 101 passages, **DELETED** daily passages, and NextStep practice tests. Best is still AAMC practice tests, I did one of those a week leading up to my mcat