Premed 101 Forums

Transfer process

I’m looking into transferring to the same specialty in a different province for personal reasons. Wanted to see if anyone here has any experience applying for transfer and what documents are typically required as the websites are pretty vague. Are reference letters typically required? I know schools assure that the transfer process is confidential, but it seems like having to ask for letters would completely negate this. 

Seeking a transfer is relatively common, and actually transferring not uncommon within schools/provinces. Transferring between provinces is more difficult however, as your funding is provincial and doesn't travel with you. There is an official process that starts with you approaching your own school's PGME office, they should have a person responsible for transfer requests. It is supposed to be confidential at this point, at least from your specific program. Your PGME office will then reach out to your school's of choice and find out if there are positions available. This happens throughout the year, but mostly in January, prior to CaRMS, and then after the second round, when programs now how many spots they have. You may get lucky, and your desired program might have had a resident just withdraw or transfer out and they have space/funding available. Or the province might not have any funding for incoming out-of-province transfers (I've heard this is the case in BC). In any case, your program will not be aware your PGME office hears of a position available. At that point you formally would apply, and your PD would have to write you a letter of recommendation/good standing etc. You may have to interview. That being said, nothing is stopping you from reaching out to other programs on your own, and if you have a connection and they are interested in you they might reach out to their own PGME office to ensure they are receptive, but they may just refer you to your own PGME office.

Thanks for the reply! That definitely clears things up a bit!  If I get to the point of applying for transfer I’m worried my home school will block it because the program is almost entirely service based. Wish the national transfer guidelines were stronger and that schools couldn’t make their own rules that undermine national policy. 

On 11/18/2019 at 11:13 PM, holalola said:

Thanks for the reply! That definitely clears things up a bit!  If I get to the point of applying for transfer I’m worried my home school will block it because the program is almost entirely service based. Wish the national transfer guidelines were stronger and that schools couldn’t make their own rules that undermine national policy. 

Your PGME office should not care about your service. They should care about a happy resident. In theory, programs would rather you leave if you're not happy rather than they have an unhappy resident. They could always accept a transfer in your stead.