Premed 101 Forums

OT/PT accepted/waitlist/decline 2020 cycle

For those that have extensive volunteering experiences, did you plan from highschool or take a couple years off after undergrad to get such experiences? I started volunteering in 2016 in undergrad, did a fifth year and graduated in June (have this year off), and I still haven't accumulated nearly as many hours/volunteer experiences as some have on here. My grades are good but I am really starting to wonder if I have a chance :wacko:

2 hours ago, Reehab said:

For those that have extensive volunteering experiences, did you plan from highschool or take a couple years off after undergrad to get such experiences? I started volunteering in 2016 in undergrad, did a fifth year and graduated in June (have this year off), and I still haven't accumulated nearly as many hours/volunteer experiences as some have on here. My grades are good but I am really starting to wonder if I have a chance :wacko:

Personally, I've been volunteering since high school with different groups that I've been passionate about (e.g. the Canadian Cancer Society after my grandmother had a bout with colon cancer), but never really "planned" to use this experience so to speak, it was just a by-product. As others have said on this forum, I don't think the amount of hours are extremely significant after you have enough to check the requirements (30-40 hours in most cases), as long as you can speak to how the experience has helped you develop as a person and practice skills you'll use as a PT/OT! I've also seen in a few places that PT application scores take anywhere from 50-75% of their weight from GPA, so as long as you can write well your application should be just as strong with the experience you do have!
Side note regarding PTA experience: Last summer I decided I wanted to apply to PT but was lacking much direct PT experience, so I started sending out emails to local clinics asking about potential opportunities. I probably emailed 8-10 clinics (most of which didn't respond at all) before finally getting a lucky break with one clinic who was willing to take me on for up to four hours a week. As a result, the direct PT related hours started to build up quick, but it took some digging and persistence to get there. 

Hope this info helps future applicants!

Applied + (PT or OT?): PT- Queen's, McMaster, Western, Dalhousie (IP)
Accepted: Queen's, Mac, Western, Dal
Waitlisted:
Rejected:
GPA: (ORPAS) c-gpa 3.88, s-gpa 3.9. (Dal)s-gpa 4.02

Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references: Feeling fairly confident in my essays, built on 350 hours as a student therapist, 2 physiotherapy placements and extensive volunteering with diverse populations (youth, disabled, elderly, elite athletes). Should have strong references, one from my honours thesis supervisor who has taught me 3 courses and the second from a sport PT who I shadowed for two semesters.

Edited by eastcoastpt

Applied + (PT or OT?): UBC, U of A, Manitoba, Western, McMaster, Toronto, Dalhousie (All OT)
Accepted: U of A, U of T
Waitlisted: Dal
Rejected: UBC (post-interview), U of M (interview waitlist), McMaster (interview waitlist), Western
GPA:c-gpa and s-gpa: cGPA ~3.4, sGPA ~3.85 (4/4.5 for Manitoba)
Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references: I have over 500 hours working with children with disabilities. Have completed a research based Master's and will get very strong references from that. 

Applied + (PT or OT?): Queen's, Mac, Dalhousie (All PT)
Accepted:
Waitlisted:
Rejected:
GPA:c-gpa and s-gpa: cGPA ~3.4, sGPA 3.75 
Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references: Second time applying. Worked in LTC as a PTA assistant for over a year, worked at the hospital for 3 months on a contract as a PTA and was exposed to neuromuscular and cardio-respiratory physio. 100 of hours at private clinic. Athletic therapist of University soccer team. 2 amazing references from the PT I worked under and my undergrad thesis supervisor, 3rd one was a prof that I was unsure how good of a reference he'd give me. Heading to the UK if I do not get in this run. Am praying for Queen's.

3 hours ago, kinestudent23 said:

Applied + (PT or OT?): Queen's, Mac, Dalhousie (All PT)
Accepted:
Waitlisted:
Rejected:
GPA:c-gpa and s-gpa: cGPA ~3.4, sGPA 3.75 
Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references: Second time applying. Worked in LTC as a PTA assistant for over a year, worked at the hospital for 3 months on a contract as a PTA and was exposed to neuromuscular and cardio-respiratory physio. 100 of hours at private clinic. Athletic therapist of University soccer team. 2 amazing references from the PT I worked under and my undergrad thesis supervisor, 3rd one was a prof that I was unsure how good of a reference he'd give me. Heading to the UK if I do not get in this run. Am praying for Queen's.

Was the third reference only for Dal's application? I have two academic references for Dal that I feel are strong, but am unsure if you can use two academic references in the ORPAS system? (I currently have only one academic and one professional for ORPAS, but two academic and one professional for Dal).

Applied + (PT): Queens, Western, Toronto, and McMaster (all PT).
Accepted:
Waitlisted:
Rejected:
GPA: cGPAa 3.33  and sGPA 3.86
Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references:
PT experience: Long term care (geriatric), physiotherapy clinic (adults & pediatrics), clinical research (older adults), and exercise assistant (independent active older adults). 
Non-PT experience: Club President of a club, Vice President Communications of a club, Founder of a club, and Team Leader for student mentorship program at my school. 

Strong reference from Professor I worked in the lab for 2.5 years and a strong reference from my long term care supervisor.

UPDATE: just wrote CASPer and feeling decent about it. 

On 12/20/2019 at 8:38 PM, Reehab said:

Hey, how did you calculate your UBC average? They told me that they don't release the conversion scales/tables to the public (for OT program).

I go to UBC, so I just took my prereqs of stats, anatomy, physiology, and psych, + last 30 credits and calculated the average for Prereqs, last 30, and combined! :)

Applied: Dalhousie, UofA, Queens, Toronto, and McMaster (all OT).
Accepted:
Waitlisted: Queens
Rejected: McMaster, UofA, and UofT
GPA:c-gpa 3.32 3.31  and s-gpa 3.55 3.50
Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references:

Nervous about my GPA but... 

I have worked as an OTA at the largest kids rehab hospital in Canada for the past year and have some great references. Also I feel as though my letter of intent and essay turned out well. 

Good luck everyone! 

1 hour ago, OT1996 said:

For people who applied to UofT, Queens, and Western OT. Did you use the exact same essay from UofT/Queens for Western? Western asks the questions a bit differently so im not sure what theyre looking for...

I had similar essay for all three schools but I changed it a bit for western to answer their questions. 

Applied: PT: UFT & Western OT: McMaster, UFT & Western

Accepted:

Waitlisted:

Rejected:

GPA:c-gpa= 3.56  3.57 and s-gpa= 3.84 3.86 

Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references: Volunteered at Physio clinic and have work experience conducting ergonomic assessments. I feel like my essays are good but I don’t know I can never be sure about my written skills. References are strong.

What do you guys think of my chances?

Does anyone know where on ORPAS we see our GPA and when this will be up?

15 hours ago, ptmandem said:

can someone confirm if OUAC referece ID given after submitting PT applications is suffice ? Cause on CASPer, it has a section to fill in for ORPAS and OUAC. I heard they are both the same but just wanted to confirm. Thanks in adavance

Yes I believe they are both the same. There is a post concerning this on the CASPer website

Applied + (PT or OT?): All PT - U of T, McMaster, Queens, Western 
Accepted:
Waitlisted:
Rejected:
GPA:c-gpa and s-gpa: cGPA = 3.89 sGPA = 3.93
Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references: I have volunteered at 2 different private clinics for about 250 hours combined. I have also been a student trainer for a varsity team for the last 2 years for about 200 cumulative hours. I believe the strongest experience I have is working as a PSW for children with disabilities over the last 2 years for a total of 1300 hours. I feel as though my personal statements are quite strong but it is hard to tell how they will be seen by the admissions committee. One of my references is from a PT I shadowed this past summer and the other is from my thesis supervisor who I have also taken a number of additional classes with. overall feeling I have done the most I could have done for this first admissions cycle and am just praying the stars align! 

Good luck everyone!

Applied + (PT or OT?): UofT (OT+PT), Western (OT+PT), McMaster (OT), Queens (OT)
Accepted:
Waitlisted:
Rejected:
GPA: sGPA=3.99 and cGPA=3.72
Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references: Feel pretty good about my personal submissions - talked about a range of experience gained through co-op work terms. References should be good too. CASPer is tough to comment on but I don't think it went badly. Nervous about McMaster's MMI and UofT's CAP.

On 1/8/2020 at 8:02 AM, OT1996 said:

For people who applied to UofT, Queens, and Western OT. Did you use the exact same essay from UofT/Queens for Western? Western asks the questions a bit differently so im not sure what theyre looking for...

I wrote the exact same because theyre technically asking for the same thing but Western is structuring it/helping you with what should be included.

Technically the same!